Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda Getting Brown, Especially on Tips

Posted by amoncur none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 14:25

Hi,

I have bermuda grass and live in Arizona...hot summers. Am currently watering 20 min per day (starting at 11pm) 3 days per week. I've noticed the past couple of weeks that when I cut my lawn the tips of many of the blades are brown, and other stalks are brown (see images below). What is this indicative of? Just that I might need to water more? Or add some weed and feed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda Getting Brown, Especially on Tips

And here is one more image for you all to look at....

o

Dull blade?

o

It's a relatively new mower....maybe 5 or 6 months? Was brand new when I bought it.....just a Home Depot mower, though....nothing fancy.

o

Just for a point of reference, you should be watering deeply, once every 5-7 days in Phoenix. Only go to every 5 days when the temps are consistently in the 100s (most of the summer). Deeply means a full inch of water (as measured by several cat food or tuna cans placed around the yard).

Are you following the Bermuda Bible for your fertilizer schedule?

o

I will have to try the cat dish test to see what deeply is for my sprinklers. Sounds like I'm watering too frequently?

I am not familiar with the Bermuda Bible. I will look for it

o

Cat food can, not cat dish - not a bowl.

You might have to wean your lawn down to the infrequent timing. I know a couple people in Pho who have good success with watering once every 5 days when in the 100s and every 7 days when in the 90s.

o

Thanks for the tips! I've read the Bermuda Bible and did the cat food test. Turns out my 20 minute cycle was only depositing ~1/3", so I will have to increase the cycle time to ~1 hour every 5 days instead of 20 minutes 3 times per week. Same amount of water being used, but this I assume will allow for much deeper watering than what I have been doing to date.

Regarding the Bermuda Bible, it mentions the use of Nitrogen (NPK) and fertilizer products. My question is this: is the nitrogen product the same thing as the fertilizer product? Or are they two separate products that both need to be applied? Is this a "Scotts" type product I can pick up at Home Depot?

o

The Bermuda Bible uses nitrogen and fertilizer interchangeably. I don't think Scott's has the products you're looking for. He talks about very high N values. Usually you get those at a farm and ranch store.

You're right about the water. Deeper is better because the soil temp is lower down deeper. Lower temp means less evaporation. Your 1 inch of water will actually last longer when applied more deeply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here