Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

Ornamec and/or RoundUp on BERMUDA grass

oberci
11 years ago

From what I've read so far, I gather that many have had good results using Ornamec to treat lawns becoming overrun with bermudagrass. I'd really appreciate any help that you all can give me so that I treat with the product at the right time, as I gather that this is very important both for maximum effect on the bermudagrass and for minimal wear to the existing fescue.

I'm aware that it will take several applications, and that this is not a good time to hit it with the 1st application since daily temps have been in the 90s. The directions state "the first application should be made in early spring (April/May) when bermudagrass is breaking dormancy. The second application should be during September/October when bermudagrass is preparing for dormancy"

Now, a span of 8 weeks seems to give a whole lot of room for error, and I'm sure that September here in Sacramento is not going to be the same weather-wise as September in New York or even in San Francisco.

-So how do I know when the grass is "breaking dormancy" and when it is "preparing for dormancy"? Should I wait for certain temps to come as a signal for the correct time?

-Can I do the first application in the fall or do I have to wait until next spring?

-Should I really only do 1 application every ~6 months?

Now I also have in mind to RESEED COME FALL. How can I reseed in the areas overrun by bermudagrass?

-Do I hit the area with Ornamec and then reseed some time later?

-Should I use ROUNDUP as an initial application just on the areas mainly containing bermuda and wait for spring to use Ornamec? When/How should I apply the roundup if that's a better course of action?

-If I use Roundup, should I rake away the dead top grass before I reseed or leave it to be reuptaken by the soil? Will the seed find its way down to the soil?

For reference, I'd say about 30% of the lawn has bermuda creeping in. And I suspect this occurred because our house was vacant for a year and a half. I have no idea how the grass got bermuda in it to begin with, as it is far from any neighboring lawn and has a border around it. But for these reasons, I don't suspect it coming back once I eradicate the existing problem.

Comments (2)