Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarlawn

Lawn renovation

oscarlawn
11 years ago

About three years ago, I garnered great info for many experts on this forum to renovate my front lawn. I bought some premium seed online and had a beatiful lawn. What I noticed with the kind of grass I bought, KBG mix, was that I hardly ever had to mow. Very fine bladed and thick, but just never got very high to mow. Almost like a golf course type of grass.

The next season we had a bad season of hardly any rain and even though I watered way more than any of my neighbors, my front lawn died out. I was mad b/c most of neighbors never watered once and theirs came back in late summer. Mine never did.

Questions:

Why did my lawn not come back when everyone else's did?

The next year, I just kind of let it go. Weeds took over and I bent over and was the laughingstock of the neighborhood.

Late last fall, I bought some seed, aerated and spread the seed in hopes that this spring I would have some of it come in, but no avail. Nothing seemed to come up this spring of the seed I laid last fall.

Present time: So after another summer in NE Indiana without much rain, everyone else's lawns became dormant?, nobody watered again, and now after some rain in the last few weeks, everyone's is coming back again.

I've attached a pic that shows how many weeds and bare spots I have.

Can you guys tell me what kind of seed I can get that will survive the long summers of no rain. It seemed to me the last time, my seed was too good for my level of caring. I want a lawn that can become dormant, but returns like my neighbors. I dont' need a green lawn in the summer, just one that will return in the fall.

I don't need it to be as lush as it was the last time around. I don't mind using the WBG and keeping weeds at bay.

Do I need a cheaper seed than last time?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

Comments (9)

• oscarlawn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another picture.
    Thank you

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

KBG is the most likely the go dormant and be able to come back. However, it also needs the most amount of water. SO, depending on how long it went dormant and without water could have killed it off leaving you with what you have now. If you decide to go TTTF it will require less water and stay green longer, but if you neglect it it will completely die.

Also, that second year for the KBG it was still young and not fully established, making it more susceptible to problems.

I don't understand seeding last fall and waiting 'till this spring for it to come in. If you planted in fall correctly, you should have had grass in fall. So, something went wrong on your part.

To answer one of your questions - NO lawn will be able to go a whole summer of hot temperatures and no rain/water and be OK.

I did not notice you mention any sort of fertilizer?

To help you out before others chime in, you need to explain your "level of care". How often and for how long did you water? What type and how much fertilizer? etc.

• goren
    11 years ago

I also question your leaving out any information on whether you fertilize your lawn and with what.
    You mention that you bought a MIX of Kentucky Bluegrass...and I suspect you were sold a bill of goods. Why buy on the internet for something you should see before you buy..price is suspect.
    For Indiana a good northern type combination grass is
    40 percent Kentucky Blue, 30% perennial ryegrass and 30% fescue. This makes for a tough, all season grass that stands up to most invasions.

I recommend you build organic matter into the turf by applying every spring, every fall, a layer of compost/topsoil to a depth of 1/2" - 1". Then overseeding the area with a quality grass seed of the type mentioned.
    The mix might be less or more the amounts.

To find out how much soil you need to buy simply measure the area LENGTH X WIDTH ...IN FEET, multiply that times the depth of soil IN INCHES, TIMES 3, divide by 1000 resulting in the number of cubic yards of soil to use.

If you follow this regimen every spring, every fall, your lawn will quickly show results you are looking for.

Following a schedule of fertilizing from spring through fall is important to keep the lawn growing its best and ward off attacks by pests and disease.

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

Although I agree with introducing organic matter, I don't necessarily agree with your recommendations. For one, I'm sure he IS lacking in Organic matter, but a soil test should be done to see. Second, top coating with compost or top soil is labor intensive and expensive. Let alone doing it twice a year, which I don't think is really necessary. One app. should do it along with mulch mowing, mulching fall leaves in, an using an organic fertilizer such as alfalfa. :-) Not trying to argue, just don't agree with your recommendation

• oscarlawn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last fall I think I reseeded too late after aerating. I remember is was the last week of October or first week of Nov. Was that too late? It was unseasonably warm at the time.
    I did use fertilizer, the stuff from my local Menards. I didn't use the weed and feed, only the straight fertilizer. I used WBG to spot treat the weeds.

The sides of my house and back yard are fine with no watering from me this whole summer. Like I said, all my neighbors never water and there's always looks yellow/brown in the dead of summer and now has all greened up since we've had several rain days in the past couple of weeks.

If I start over, what do you guys suggest? Round Up the front? and reseed? Do I need a slit seeder?

Thanks for all the responses.

• oscarlawn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I did water I followed the recommendations from some the posters on here. I used the tuna can, etc.

Can I buy the combo grass 40 percent Kentucky Blue, 30% perennial ryegrass and 30% fescue at a Menards or HD?

Thanks

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

I suspect your neighbors are watering when you're not watching. Could be middle of the night or during the day when you are out.

Rye is not a great seed in a mix. Why? Because it sprouts about 15 minutes after you put it down and you're strongly tempted to stop the frequent watering required for new seed. More seriously, rye sprouts in a week, fescue in 2 weeks, and KBG in 3 weeks. By the time the KBG is sprouting, you'll be wanting to mow the rye. It's just not good in a mix.

And never apply more than 1/4 inch of anything to your lawn unless you are trying to smother it or change the drainage.

Late October is too late. You should seed at the earliest opportunity when the summer heat breaks. For many north of you that might be in late August. Every place is different and it is different every year.

• oscarlawn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, so based on the pictures, should I round up everything and lay down about a 1/4 of topsoil and then seed? Do I need to rent a slit seeder? When should I start, based on my zone? Still not sure where to buy the seed.
    Thanks everyone.

• oscarlawn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can anyone please answer whether I should round up the whole front lawn and then seed? Or just use WBG? Slit seeder for laying the seed?
    Thank you very much.