Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to apply Weed-B-Gone Max to kill crabgrass?

Posted by atgcpaul none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 15:10

Crabgrass has taken over my lawn with a vengeance. One area of grass seems like it is almost all crabgrass. My lawn has also long suffered from creeping Charley; I have another area that just has a bit of tall fescue poking through.

The creeping Charley has been a problem for a long time but I'm looking to buy Fertilome Weed Free Zone to treat it.

The crabgrass did exist before, but it was no where near this bad. In the spring I broadcast spread Scott's with Halts. It's highly possible my timing was wrong. We had a lot of spring false starts this year (DC metro area). I really just want to kill the crabgrass NOW. Weed-B-Gone says to spray it on during the Spring. So is it too late to apply Weed-B-Gone this summer? Does crabgrass really die in the winter? Maybe I just need to apply pre-emergent next spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to apply Weed-B-Gone Max to kill crabgrass?

I don't think it's too late.. IMO the more you can do to knock down the CG the better. My yard is getting "Max'ed" in a couple of weeks.

o

Crabgrass is an annual and it will die with the first hard frost anyway, so let that guide your decision. If you're not going to overseed in the heavily infested areas, I don't see the point in killing something that will die in six weeks on its own.

You're right in asking if preemergent next spring is the solution to your problem. Yes, it is.

That said, there are other uses for weed killer in the fall. September and October are the best times to control winter weeds (annual weeds that germinate in the fall and flower in the spring, e.g. henbit) and perennial broadleaf weeds like dandelions.

o

Do you want know when it will *actually* rain? The morning after I spray Weed-B-Gon is when! Sprayed the lawn last night and of course it rains this morning. This stuff is supposed to "rainfast" an hour after application. Let's see. I have the worst luck.

o

I hope you folks aren't using WBG Max to kill crabgrass. There is a separate product "WBG Max Plus Crabgrass Control". It contains Quinclorac for crabgrass control. The standard WBG Max product does not, and will not control crabgrass.

o

Yes, mine had the CG control.

o

What makes these chemicals rainfast isn't any special ability to repel water. It's the fact that the plant takes in the chemicals through the foliage and transports it to the roots where it does its damage.That can happen real fast. It was probably "rainfast" less than an hour after you applied it, and it certainly wasn't hurt by rainfall the following morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here