Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass dying/dirt help

Posted by johnnyma45 North TX - DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:14

Hello all,

Our front yard is starting to die off. I've attached pictures of the patches of dead grass initially, now dirt. I am in North Texas, and the front yard is decently shaded. I water twice a week, 10 min each time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass dying/dirt help

Second pic.

o

Third pic.

o

You should be watering once a week for an hour or as long as it takes your sprinkler system to fill a cat food can (inch of water). You can't go cold turkey from your current watering to the correct watering. The grass roots are not deep enough to last a full week right now. You have to wean yourself off this 2x weekly stuff. By the time you get it weaned it will be time to go to once every 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks.

You should be mowing at the mower's highest setting to favor the St Augustine. If you mow it high it will wipe out that bermuda in the hell strip.

Have you fertilized in the past year? If so what did you use and when?

o

I use the seasonal Scott's fertilizer - the general ones sold at Lowe's. I currently mow it pretty high, will have to check the settings on my mower.

Is Bermuda, the vine-like creeping grass?

o

Bermuda is fine bladed grass.

10 minutes is nowhere enough to keep st augustine happy.

To achieve 1 inch is 600 gallons per 1000 sqft.

For the strip area, the best way to water it is soaker hose. In the past, I'd lay it out on the strip area right in the middle and barely turn it on for the night. Repeat every 2 weeks. Worked pretty good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here