Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_ellen

New to lawn care - what to do first?

katrina_ellen
11 years ago

Hi all,

I moved into a house where the lawn has not been taken care of in what appears to be a long time. There are a lot of weeds, including creeping charlie and wild violets. I have been taking out the dandelions, clover and broadleaf by hand, but the violets and charlie would be very difficult. I called a gardening supply shop and they told me to use Roundup for killing vines for the charlie and violets, which would kill all the grass around it. I am wondering if I should first use a weed killer, then use perhaps a starter fertilizer and overseed at the same time or? Should I use a standard herbicide now, or roundup and herbicide or wait till spring? What would give me the best results? I should say I absolutely hate using poisons, and would prefer using as little as possible, even if its a longer process. Thank you for your advice!

Comments (5)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I can't help you with organic solutions. Creeping charlie is one of the weeds listed in Ortho Weed B Gon Chickweed, Clover & Oxalis Killer and it is a selective herbicide so it doesn't kill grasses. If you have areas of heavy weed infestation (less than 50% desirable grass in the area), you may want to consider RoundUp. It is non selective and will kill everything. Weed B Gon products recommend that seeding not be done until 2 wks have passed since application. Seeding with RoundUp can be done within a few days. Seeds germinate best when in contact with bare soil. Suggest that once weeds are dead you scalp mow the area to be seeded and then rake and bag to expose the soil. Apply seed and thinly cover the seed with a topdressing- I use peat moss but there are many alternatives. Apply starter fert at 1/2# N rate per 1k sq ft. Keep the seed just moist--several light waterings thoughout the day. Once seed germinates you can start watering with more water once a day. After the second or third mowing you can add another dose of starter and cut watering down to 1 or 2 a week.

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grass - thanks a lot for the info. That gives me a good plan. I have been reading up recently but only know a little about the very basics so far. I think I will go with the selective herbicide. Its going to be a work in progress, and I want to concentrate on improving the soil as I go along. I like the peat moss suggestion since that will help with the soil as well. I have gardened with perrenials for a long time and have never worked on getting a lawn in shape, so this will be a challenge for me. My garden areas always looked good but my lawn looked bad. So thanks for taking the time to respond.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Other than OM, peat moss doen't add much to the soil and does need to be kept moist as when dry it will repel water. I like it for seeding because it gives a visual indicator when water is needed and when enough has been applied to wet the peat moss. Peat, not peat moss can be used also and will add more to the soil than just OM and seed cover (more expensive and harder to spread tho). Have you consider a soil test and analysis so you know what amendments your soil might need?

• goren
    11 years ago

It has been my experience that, where Creeping Charlie, is concerned a common broadleafed weed killer will not affect it.
    The best approach for this weed is by pulling it out by hand and keeping ahead of it as it re-appears.
    but, with Charlie, you must get all of it...including the roots if you are going to be successful in eliminating it.
    Otherwise, what remains comes back better than it was before.

The use of the gylphosate (RoundUp) can be sprayed by using a hand sprayer to kill just the weed and small areas around it. Purchase the bulk package so that you can mix your own and store it for future use. It is much less expensive this way.

If the lawn is a total loss---weeds, more weeds, nothing but weeds, then possibly the use of RoundUp to kill all may be your best approach to the problem.
    Starting over by injecting lots of organic matter into the soil will surely help obtain a lush lawn in short order.
    Further additions of organic matter each fall (or spring or both) is a proven way to achieve a lawn you can be proud of.

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought the WBG Chickweed, clover & Oxalis product. From what I read on here, I need to hit it once a week for a month. Question: I don't live in a neighborhood where people take good care of their grass, would I just be fighting a losing battle, or can I get mine healthy enough to resist the neighbors weeds? I live in the city and water is expensive, is there a grass seed that can survive waterings at every 2 weeks? I should say that I just want to make my lawn green with as few weeds as possible. I'm not picky on color or anything else than just being green. Thanks goren and grass for your time!