Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Bahia Sod

Posted by shigg97 FL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 15:23

I just installed new bahia sod in my backyard. I live in Central Florida.
It's watered daily by me or the rain.
I put Milorganite on it several times to green it up - also fertilized it recently.
No other grass would grow in the back - don't know if there is a soil problem?
This was growing great but it's been about 4 weeks now and it's starting to get brown patches and some of the areas are turning yellow.
The brown patches look now like it was Bermuda - before it didn't.
Looked great for the first three weeks.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Bahia Sod

I just installed new bahia sod in my backyard.

Sorry about that.

o

Yeah my condolences.

The fact is bahia will grow where other grasses won't.
A photograph would likely be worth a thousand words in this case.
What you may not have known is that bahia can be easily burned by fertilizer. It really shouldn't need fertilizer in Florida this time of year.

A soil test could also shed some light on the subject.

o

Stop watering, fertilizing and caring for it so much.

Bahia grass forms an extensive root system, which makes it one of Florida's most drought-tolerant grasses. It performs well in infertile, sandy soils and does not require high inputs of fertilizers

Heres a few tips for you:

Fertilizing:
Fertilizer should be applied to Bahia grass in two to four applications from spring green-up through fall. Never use a weed-n-feed on Bahia. Apply a complete fertilizer at the rate of 1/2 to 1 pound (slow-release) nitrogen per 1000 square feet.

Watering:
Irrigation is needed when leaf blades begin to fold up, wilt, or turn blue-gray in color, or when footprints remain visible after walking on the grass. Apply 3/4 to 1 inch of water per application. You should be able to go (at minimum) a week or two between waterings. It is very important not to overwater Bahia grass lawns as this weakens the turf and encourages weeds. Bahia may go dormant, turn brown and stop growing. It will revive and resume growth upon regular application of water.

Mowing:
During times of active growth, bahiagrass should be mulch mowed with a sharp, balanced blade every 7 to 14 days at 3 to 4 inches of height. Higher mowing heights promote a deeper, more extensive root system that enables the grass to better withstand drought stress. Remove no more than 1/3 of the height of the leaf blades with any mowing.

Follow the above and you'll be just fine.

I put Milorganite on it several times to green it up - also fertilized it recently.
What does this mean? Milorganite is fertilizer.
Also, how much is several times?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here