Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Rehab on a Budget

Posted by lindsayd29 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 15:35

Hello! We moved into our house 3 years ago. The house and lawn were neglected for many years before moving in. Our yard is about 60% weeds despite our best efforts. We can't afford to kill and start from scratch. We want to aerate and seed this fall, then put down fall weed and feed. We do not know much about lawns. Any advice on the sequence or timing of these things would be great!! Also, should we spread seed or use a over-seeder? We are on a budget.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Rehab on a Budget

I can suggest not aerating and not using a weed and feed, so there, that saved some money. Why were you going to aerate? Because everyone does? because the soil is hard? because it improves seeding? Other reason?

What kind of grass do you have (I'm guessing it's fescue)?
How often do you water and for how long?
How high/low do you mow and how often?
When were the last 2 times you fertilized and what did you use?
Do you have much shade over the lawn?

Have the night time temps started dropping for you? If so, time is of the essence in getting this project started. You should have had this planned last month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here