Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayhoz

Online Seed Retailers

jayhoz
11 years ago

In looking over discussions of different types of seeds I have seen a lot of people suggesting to not go the Big Box route and to purchase online if you want better quality seed. What I have not seen a lot of is actual links to reputable retailers. What are some of the better online sellers of quality grass seed?

Comments (18)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

There are a bunch, but here are a few of the good ones.

Pawnee Buttes
    The Hogan Company
    Williams Seed (ask for Dennis)
    Oliger Seed
    Chas Hart Seed
    F.M. Brown's Sons

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

Great advice...I was looking for the exact same answer in my thread.

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

Is the best way to pick cultivars to go by what these companies list on their websites and pick from those types only? Or do they usually stock a lot more types than they say they have?

• tiemco
    11 years ago

The best way to pick cultivars is by seeing which ones do the best in your area, or an area like yours using the NTEP trials. www.ntep.org

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

Tiemco, yes. We've discussed that at length before.

But these retailers only list certain cultivars. In your experience purchasing, are we limited to what they list on their websites?

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Pretty much. Sometimes it helps to call the grower and ask for a distributor. Unfortunately a lot of distributors won't break up 50 lb. bags. I had to buy 50 lbs. of Firecracker LS when I did my reno, but a was able to sell some of it, and it's pretty inexpensive in that quantity.

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

I take it these companies have no problem with selling to unlicensed amateurs. That is one of my biggest fears...being turned down because I'm not a licensed pro.

• andy10917
    11 years ago

You don't need any form of "licensing", but some companies don't want to deal with small amounts of seed. What Tiemco listed is companies that will almost always deal with homeowners. I've dealt with Dennis at Williams several times, and the guy treats you like his best friend.

• andy10917
    11 years ago

You don't need any form of "licensing", but some companies don't want to deal with small amounts of seed. What Tiemco listed is companies that will almost always deal with homeowners. I've dealt with Dennis at Williams several times, and the guy treats you like his best friend.

• pdb5627
    11 years ago

I'm not sure where you're located, but United Seeds is in Omaha. They gave me a discount for picking up seed in the store rather than ordering online, although they did have a 20 lb minimum. Here in town, there is also Double K Feed, which the guy at United Seed told me about, where I can buy United Seed seed mixes in smaller quantities, pay by the pound.

Where are you located? There may be a wholesaler or retailer near you so you can save on shipping and have a face-to-face transaction.

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

Don't waste your time with Oliger unless you're a business; they don't sell to private individuals. I know from calling them recently.

• Jean Vallee
    11 years ago

I just bought seed from seedsuperstore.com (in Buffalo NY). The website lets you pick and choose cultivars or will recommend if you ask. (I am in eastern VA)

I took what they recommended (bulleye/falcon/monet) for my area. I had been looking for bulleye based on NTEP results. It arrived 2 days later.

I set up a paper cup with some soil from my yard and a small pinch of seeds. Set cup in west window and watered/kept damp.

In 7 days I had 4" of grass.

Needless to say I am happy camper.

• gergev
    11 years ago

The bullseye/falcon/monet mix from seedsuperstore is $125 for 50lb including shipping. Is in the ballpark of similar mixes from the retailers mentioned above?

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

Sounds like a good price. I bought a 50-lb bag (arrived today) of a single cultivar, and it was $90 before shipping. I expect shipping cost at least $30.

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

(That was from FM Brown.)

• gergev
    11 years ago

Thank you Lawn Hobby.

• jayhoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went with seedsuperstore's overseed blend for a rehab I have planned for a section of my lawn. Seemed to score pretty well for the Northeast. Thanks for the help.

Bewitched Kentucky Bluegrass 33.05%
    Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass 33.08%
    Everglade Kentucky Bluegrass 32.80%

Weeds: 0.00% Other Crop: 0.00% Inert: 1.07% Test Date: 01/12

• EngineerManager
    10 years ago

This is how The Hogan Company reply to their homeowner customers after they ship the wrong seed

It is obvious that with all of the questions and the comments you made you lack the ability to grow grass in your yard. My advice to you would be to have someone from the turf industry that knows how to grow turfgrass do your lawn. Also, if you can tell the different from the excellent blend that we sent you and the other blend, then come and take over my business and have fun with it. Even the best turf managers, breeders, university professors, and seed industry leaders can't tell the difference without scienctific proof or our excellent blends. You need help. Please do not call or email me or my company ever again! I have turned this matter over to our legal department.

The Hogan Company
    1-615-384-1231
    1-888-224-6426