Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjb3_gw

MAYDAY! Need serious Bermuda help

rjb3
10 years ago

My bermuda is going downhill quick. I need help with a plan of attack. I made a ton of rookie mistakes but hopefully with help I can get my lawn on track. I know what Im about to detail is probably(ok, is) full of some serious mistakes but when i put the sod in I just wanted some grass in the yard. Now I want the fairway look. I'll do whatever it takes(hopefully not starting over).
I live in the panhandle of Florida(zone8) and put in 6500 sq ft of tif419 on May 1st. Prep for the turf was tilling and rake grading. I had nothing but weeds. Watered twice a day for 30 minutes for the first two weeks backed off to once in the morning for 2 weeks. Started mowing one notch from the top with my rotary. Soil analysis from UF in may: ph 6.6 recommended 4lb N thru the season P was medium K low. said to use 16-4-8 but couldnt find any locally. Fertilized with 16-0-8 on june 1st. Dropped the mower one notch. Noticed significant thinning in backyard. trimmed oak tree back and got alot more sun. Fert on july 1st with 29-0-5. tried to lower one more notch but was cutting down to brown. so i kept the height(3 inches). fert aug 1st with scotts 32-0-10.
Ok so around the beginning of june we started getting heavy rain daily and nightly. There has been only 2 days this summer without rain. I have not ran the sprinkler since then. I have mowed as often as i couldeven though sometime the grass was pretty moist. The lawn has never completely dried in the past couple months. I started noticing the lawn taking on a more brown look and maybe a hint of red tint to it. I started researching and im positive it has some fungal disease. not sure which one but from the lesions on the leafs im leaning toward leaf spot. i put down a fungicide i got from lowes and put it down a week ago. Last rain was a week ago also and I havent watered yet. I guess im trying to give the fungus a chance to dry out. Its really brown but ive done the walk test today ajdnits on the verge of needing water. im scared to water it and kick the fungus into overdrive again. im also scared to hit it with more fert as some sites say high N can help cause fungus. I know i messed up keeping the height up which in turn kept it so lush and moist. I slowly started trying to bring it down a few weeks ago. And i started using a push reel but cant get it past 2 1/2 inches. I did buy a used mclane 20 the other day but havent been able to use it yet because it only cuts up to 1 1/4. i dont think the turf is ready to get knocked down that low yet.
So, do i water? Fertilize? Cut it low? raise the height? More fungicide? Corn meal it? Leave it alone?
Oh yeah also hit it with ortho bug b gone pellets. a month ago. still notice lots of critters. and this week lots of moths. and some morning in the backyard there is some raised turf where the dirt seems to pushed up. ive got a pic of the also.

Comments (21)

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Backyard shot

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one of the worst areas in the back

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

up close leaf

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic of the raised dirt and turf

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front yard. The outer brown edges are where i have been mowing it at 2 1/4 with the push reel. The inner part is still 3"

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better close up of leaf blades

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

So, do i water? Fertilize? Cut it low? raise the height? More fungicide? Corn meal it? Leave it alone?

1. You can use corn meal as a fertilizer; however, since you have already used a fungicide, the corn meal won't work help with the fungus. The corn meal relies on a predatory fungus, which the fungicide just killed off.
    2. No more fungicide until the daily high temps fall below 85. If you go back to your bottle, it probably says that on it. You may have killed your lawn with the fungicide.
    3. You should be watering once per week a full inch at a time. If Mother Nature is doing that for you, then no more water from you. Daily rain can do what your lawn has.
    4. You need to get the mowing height down. The reason the grass looks brown now when you mow lower is that you are cutting off the entire blade. Bermuda grass blades grow out from a stem. If you shorten the stems, the grass gets lower. At a certain point, the stems will begin to grow horizontally instead of vertically. That's when bermuda becomes pretty magnificent.
    5. You should be fertilizing bermuda with a high N product every month during the growing season.

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think a good plan would be to knock it all down to 2"(most is at 3"), fertilize, water deeply weekly, mow every couple of days trying to get down a little lower? Do you think there is enough time left for everything to green up and start thickening up before dormancy?
    Also, my push reel cant get it all ar 2". Should I hit it with my rotary at 2" or get my new mclane on it at 1 1/4" and brown the entire lawn out?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Fertilize and water first. You want the grass growing when you scalp it down. When you mow it back to 2 inches from 3, you will have mostly stems. Stems look brown because you're looking past the thin stems and seeing the dirt below.

If it is 3 inches now, mowing at 2 will remove 1/3 of the growth. I would mow, fertilize, and water now. In 3 days mow again at the same height. Three days later lower the blade 1/4 inch and mow again. Three days later mow again at that same height. Three days later lower the blade to 1.5 inches and mow again. Oh and water in there whenever 7 days rolls around from your first watering. If you don't have that much control over your mower height, you can go at 1/2-inch intervals.

Since your lawn was rototilled you are going to experience the surface becoming bumpy. It will take about 3 years for the surface to stop getting bumpier. I would hesitate to do anything about leveling the lawn until you are sure it isn't getting worse. The problem with continually leveling is that soil is continually settling. If you level with 1/4-inch of sand and do it 4 times, you would have raised your surface a full inch. If you wait until the settling is over, you may only raise it 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Raising the surface is fine if you have a golf course, but if you have a house with a basement and you add an inch of topsoil around it, you can divert the rainfall back up into the house.

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dchall. I mowed down to 2" wih the rotary. Put down milagornite(do you think that will be a good fert?) After pulling some mpre stems and researching I believe I have either dollar spot or brown patch. One disease says to fert the other says not too or it may get worse. So I figured the milorganite might be a little easier on the turf if I guessed wrong. Watered deeply after. This week I went 7 days between the last rain and watering and I think i was on the verge of losing it. My soil is really sandy here in FL plus Im near the coast so do you think watering every 4-5 days would work? Also do you think the disease might let up with the fungicide treatment and mowin plan? Im almost positive its DS or BP. Although pythium seemed to match alot of the symptoms. Anyways I will stick to the plan and I greatly appreciate your advice.

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

backyard after mowing fert and water

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

The saving grace is you have bermuda. All you need is one sprig to survive and you'll have a full lawn of it soon enough ;-)

Milorganite is good. I don't use it but a lot of people I respect do.

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the day I mowed and watered of course it rained that night and all the next day and today. Lawns looking pretty rough. Kind of taking on an orangeish look. And it's looking like rain for the rest of the week. It's not looking like I'm gonna win this battle. Anything else I should do?

• kbinmd
    10 years ago

Patience.
    It takes longer to undo the damage (healing) than it does to do the damage in the first place.
    If that makes any sense.

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. Makes sense. It's just getting frustrating with all this rain. Alot of the dead grass is layed over and matted down. Do you think I should rake out all the dead brown stuff or let it be.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Yes, rake it out. You want direct sunlight on the soil. Compost it and use it somewhere else. Or put it on the lawn once it is growing again.

• eline65
    10 years ago

Bermuda is AMAZINGLY resilient, but like they said, patience grasshopper! I had a place that looked desolate. Only 1/4 of the yard had bermuda. I watered daily, and next year, almost completely filled out as the dormant roots below came back to life. It took a couple weeks for me to see noticeable results, but time was on my side. I never needed seed either. Now, two years later, it's work to keep it under control! You also may be looking at the remains of a pior winter grass in some areas. It's very popular where I live in AZ to plant rye in the winter when the bermuda goes dormant when the weather chills at night. A good pre-emergent will keep the weeds down two. Use it about three times a years. Unless you like plucking weekly! :p

You're almost there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida burmuda

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will repost in a couple weeks for a progress report.

• P.E.sanchez
    10 years ago

I understand your pain. I live in SoCal and my Tifgreen Bermuda was hating life this year :( I tried "everything" added topsoil, dethatch, aerate, fertilizer and nothing :(
    I took a snapshot of the lawn and went to a nursery store, they said it was diseased so treat it! Still nothing :( Ran a soil test and everything came out ok.
    Well i almost gave up for this year until i decided to give "Scotts Natural Lawn Food" a try as this was working pretty well in my backyard. I took a 4x4 ft area in my front lawn as a sample area to try.
    I added ALOT of the pellets to the ground and "SMASHED" /worked the pellets into the soil using a small hand cultivator and a week later i got "green" grass :D
    Why this product worked? I do not know why but i tried everything else with zero success until i tried this product from Scotts... Hope this helps.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

PE sanchez, it could be your soil was unhealthy for some reason causing the lawn to crash. Adding the organic lawn food replenished the food supply for the soil microbes. In order to keep this from happening, I often suggest that bermuda owners use organic feed at least once per year. Find the Bermuda Bible online and follow that guidance. My only critique of that guide is that it does not suggest occasional organic fertilizer.

You would have similar experience with any organic fertilizer or even from just applying cheap dry dog food. There is a remarkable similarity between animal feed and organic fertilizers.

You should not have to aerate, dethatch, or add topsoil. If you water deeply once per week, and fertilize monthly, bermuda should be happy. Where are you in SoCal? It makes a huge difference if you are in San Clemente versus, say, Upland.

• rjb3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better close up of leaf blades

{{!gwi}}