Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efface

Line of attack for dallas grass....looking for input

efface
11 years ago

Looking to rid my back lawn of dallas grass and have read up on it and wondering how others would approach it or if I have the right idea.

I live in Sacramento, CA and my back lawn is perennial rye. My goal is to get it manageable or eradicated by next summer.

The wife and I have been manually removing some here and there but there is a lot and I understand the the root system can easily allow it to return.

Because the lawn is probably full of dallas grass seed I am think my best line of attack is to not mow the lawn for 2 weeks to let the dallas grass get taller (I have been mowing my lawn at 3") and remove any seed shoots regularly. Spray the dallas grass with round up and remove the dead plants. Hopefully some of the lawn will fill in before it goes dormant and I can do some over seeding as well.

Late winter/early spring I will do a pre-emergent to keep the dallas grass seeds from germinating. I am not sure if there is a pre-emergent that will allow the perennial rye seed to germinate but not the dallas grass (know if this exists?) but I can deal with the bare patches and let the lawn do its work.

What do you think?

Comments (4)