Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevermore44

New Lawn in Southern Ohio

Nevermore44 - 6a
10 years ago

I am new to this whole lawn thing... but I plan on revamping just the backyard this fall and then the front next fall. It's full of orchard grass from the previous owner. I will be knocking it down over the next few weeks and starting over. The lawn gets full sun and is just clay fill (with the original sod "topsoil").

I regards to seed, i was sourcing around and talking to Hogan's. I will be looking at Bullseye/cochise mix. I asked about adding in bluegrass and they suggested to not add it. Any ideas on this? or adding in any other varieties of grass to even it out?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Perhaps they don't have a KBG that matches your other grasses in color or texture. Dunno.

Generally when you have full sun areas, KBG makes a great turf. Unlike fescue and rye, it fills in after any weakness or damage. On the flip side, it does normally go dormant (brown) in the winter while fescue remains green. For that reason many people will mix the two with 10% (by weight) of the seed being KBG.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

not counting this year... we had been having quite dry droughts each summer. Should i avoid the KBG for that reason?

I don't mind doing the overseeding each or every other year if i do end up using just TTTF...

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Lawns will do better when watered one full inch per week. If you are not going to commit to that, then perhaps you should look at other alternatives. Here is a picture of bpgreen's prairie grass lawn in Salt Lake City.

{{gwi:79340}}

Utah is considered high altitude desert due to the lack of regular rainfall. His lawn is a mix of wheatgrasses, blue grama, and strawberry clover. He waters it infrequently starting in the early summer and mows monthly. These grasses require full sun.

• ed1315
    10 years ago

I also live in southern Ohio. I have worked in lawn care and lawn renovation thirty years ago. At that time improved fescue was the new thing. But the best lawns had KBG in the sun and fine fescue in the shade. I bought a older home this year near cincinnati and have been killing the weeds and working on getting the lawn looking better. I plan on over seeding this fall. I went to a local nursery where they sell bulk seed and mixed their own. I asked them for a fine fescue/KBG mix with some perinal rye in it and the guy looked at me like I had two heads! We have not sold that stuff in years he exclaimed! WE ONLY SELL IMPROVED FESCUES! NOOOOO BODY USES KBG ANYMORE! He stated loudly to attract attention and make me feel dumb. I guess times have changed.

• ed1315
    10 years ago

I see now from reading other posts that fine fescue now refers to improved tall fescue, not creeping red fescue which it used to refer to. Please excuse me for my out of date terminology

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a good story... Where did you go in cincy? I couldn't find any places like that so I ended up online to get the seed. The seed is on its way.... I am rounding up the lawn this weekend.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Nobody uses KBG anymore? There's an entire industry built around developing new strains of KBG. They call them Elite. Here's a picture of a highly tuned up KBG lawn on a full organic fertilizer regimen.

{{gwi:81154}}

All the grass in that picture is KBG. The green one is a blend of elite KBG varieties. The others are "contractor grade." Having said that, that same owner is caring for his mother's contractor grade lawn. It looks like this...

{{gwi:113450}}

Thanks to morpheuspa for the pictures and taking the time to have the best lawn on the planet.

• ed1315
    10 years ago

This guy was on Montgomery road. I know KBG is still used. He was just trying to sell me what he had.