Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Bumper Crop of Crabgrass. What Am I Missing?

Posted by alan93 6a OH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 16:22

I don't remember it being this bad last year.
5 years ago I used to have a bad case of foxtail when Scotts was treating my yard. They never did anything about it except complain that I would have to pay for their costly service so it could be eliminated next year. There was never an eliminated next year.
Now, I have the foxtail eradicated , mostly by pulling them out by hand , in a VERY big yard!
But, I have crab grass popping up everywhere.
My program has always been:
1:Treat with halts in the spring when the Forsythia blooms.
2. Spray with Bayer "All in One Lawn Weed and Crab Grass kiler about June or July.
3. Spot spray with Ortho broadleaf weed killer with crabgrass preventer.
4. Treat with winterizer in Fall.
5. Cut my grass short in Spring to encourage new growth of grass seed.
6. Cut my grass long in summer and fall to inhibit crabgrass growth.

Is there anything else I can do or do differently.
#1 always seems like rocket science to me in that if i don't do it at the right time it does nothing but waste money. I think i have a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting crabgrass halts down at the right time.

Or are weed chem companies being forced to use something more environmentally suitable due to EPA regulations and their product doesn't work as good now like they did with dishwasher detergent by taking out the phosphates leaving us with dirtier dishes and glasses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Bumper Crop of Crabgrass. What Am I Missing?

I am by no means an expert, but here is what I've learned reading posts here over the last month or so.

"5. Cut my grass short in Spring to encourage new growth of grass seed. "

Crabgrass germinates in the springtime. It likes to have sun and moisture. If you cut your grass short in the spring it will encourage the crabgrass.

What grass seed are you trying to encourage to grow? Are you putting new seed down in the spring? Are you allowing your grass to go unmowed long enough for it to go to seed? If you are not doing either of these things the weed seeds are the only seeds that are there to germinate.

If I am wrong I am sure one of the real experts will come along and correct me.

o

I think you might have a point about cutting it too short in the Spring even though I want my new grass to establish.
Another thing is there is so much rain in the spring I am afraid of getting behind in cutting it and letting it get to long to cut at times, like when it rains 5 days in a row!
I have seeded Pennington seed in the spring but find it does better when seeded in the fall.
I believe I heard someone else say to seed it like now (Aug. or Sept) is better for preventing crabgrass as well.

o

Also, we had a LOT of rain this spring in April so that probably made it thrive.

o

Yeah. Right now is the best time to seed. Seeding in the spring will give you a bumper crop of crabgrass ;-) If you seed now it will be strong enough to survive the winter and long enough in the spring to shade the crabgrass.

watering mowing and fertilizer are all important in keeping your lawn full so there will be less weed pressure.

dchall_san_antonio has "the basics of lawn care" posted a lot on this forum. The link at the bottom is a random thread that he has posted it in.

Here is a link that might be useful: dchall gives

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here