Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dman26

just dead grass from lack of water or something else?

dman26
9 years ago

I have an area in my back yard that I just can't get to grow grass. It seems to get better sometimes and at others it really looks horrible. Im not sure if this is due to drought, fungus, or parasites. I don't have any issues in the rest of my yard. It is bermuda if anyone is wondering. any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (13)

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last pic

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

If the second picture is looking south, then shade from that tall shrub is an issue. If it is not looking south, then water is the likely issue. Are you sure your sprinklers are watering evenly?

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The second pic is facing south, however it gets between 8 and 10 hours of sun during the summer. I don't have a sprinkler system, I just try to make sure it gets about an inch of water per week.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

You're being evasive about how you apply water. If you don't have a sprinkler, then what do you do? Do you just turn on the hose and let it run out? I have an oscillator sprinkler at the end of my hose.

If you don't have an oscillator, I suggest you get one - a turbo oscillator. That's the kind without the mechanical linkage gizmo. Those things bind up and get stuck - sometimes that happens right out of the box. The turbos last for years. The only issue with them is they apply water so slowly that it takes hours and hours to get an inch. Mine takes 8 hours. Some take 5 hours. It depends on water pressure, hose size, temperature. up or down hill, and a few other things. You'll have to time how long it takes your setup.

Oscillators apply water more evenly than anything else. If you live in the Great Plains, then wind is a factor for oscillators, but if not, then give them a try. I've used every sprinkler at least once. The invention of the Turbo on the oscillator finally made them work.

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First of all, I'm not being evasive about how I water my grass. i'm on this forum to get help with my yard like the majority of other people. Like I said, I try to make sure that my whole yard gets a good inch of water per week (whether from rain or sprinkler). It is applied by a big sprinkler head on a tripod that i got at lowes. I use a tin can in the yard to make sure I get a full inch at least. I'm glad your happy with your oscillator, however I think mine is watering evenly enough. Hopefully you have another comment that might produce better results.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

It looks like in addition to the proximity of the shrub the dead zone also corresponds to a change in grade, the lawn sloping up in that same portion. So whatever the specific problem is there may be a connection. Maybe there is a different soil texture in that part, maybe you have a thatch build-up and the sloping is enough to cause the water to run off there, maybe...

Cutting out and pulling up small sections of the lawn where it is thin or bald and looking at them might turn out to be instructive.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

So...in your first post where you said, "...any help would be appreciated," I guess you were lying, because you clearly don't appreciate the help offered.

I can see three serious problem areas in your lawn and one that looks like it could become more serious. Good luck figuring out what they are.

• neilaz
    9 years ago

Amen

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dchall
    by any help I did not mean I wanted an idiot to tell me the obvious. I guess i should have been more clear about that. Next time I'll make a post asking for only semi-intelligent people with an IQ above 80 reply (60 is considered mentally handicapped and 100 is avg fyi) why don't you take your turbo oscillator and stick it where the sun doesn't shine

• dman26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bboy
    there is a slope from the bush toward the house. The rest of the yard that has similar slope is doing well. I put down about 6 cubic yards of peat moss at the suggestion of my local nursery after they viewed pics and watered that well. They thought it may be more of a drought issue since that is kind of a natural drainage area. So either it should do well with the addition of peat moss or it should get worse if its a fungus. thanks for your help

• kevingalaxy
    9 years ago

Wow not sure why there is hostility here. Anyway. I would 1. make sure its not a water issue. Water it more than an inch and see 2. Get a hand held aerator and punch some holes in that area to make sure its not too compacted, perhaps even see if there is too much thatch there that's stopping the water going to the roots. 3. Perhaps the soil is bad - top dress with some good quality soil. 3. check for grubs, if you can lift up the grass then they could be eating your roots out which means the grass goes like that. Apply a 24 hr kill and/or a season long one. It has to be one fo those things. In fall overseed that area as well.