Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new lawn with patchy spots

Posted by Konquest TX (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 16:59

Hi all,

Just moved into my new house a month ago and been trying to get the lawn in shape. The builder put the sod down a few months ago and some dead spots have been popping up in the lawn. A few pics:

It's been raining a decent amount here in Houston but the weather has been pretty hot 90+. Also I have noticed that the some of the grass has very long roots. Is there a few things you guys can recommend to get the lawn in better shape?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new lawn with patchy spots

Strange. I'm from Houston. It has not been raining very much at my house. It's been blazing hot though and most people's yards are starting to look terrible.

My first thought would be to ask what your watering schedule is. Some people insist on watering every day for whatever reason. Guy across the street from me moved into his new house a couple months ago. He waters his lawn every night. Being a new lawn I think he's getting away with it for now. He will eventually have root rot and a weed and crabgrass infestation.

o

I try to water once a week for about 45 minutes with a sprinkler. Is that enough or should I increase the watering time?

And is there a good method for repairing these patchy spots? I see Home depot and amazon sell some grass seed mix but I'm not sure that will be a good solution.

o

You have St. Augustine. You would need sod. So the seed would not do much good.

Try poking it with a flat blade screwdriver. It should go in a few inches. If not, its too dry and you need to increase watering. St. Augustine is thirsty. Also have you put any fertilizer down?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here