Banyon
12 years ago

Which seed do you recommend and why?

Would it be too late to seed this week?

Comments (11)

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Way too late to seed Bermuda.

For NC hands down the best choice is either Yukon or Riviera as they are designed for transitional zones. Better yet a blend of the 2.

What I suggest and is really your best chance to get the seeds because availability is limited is this winter when seed companies start taking orders, put in your order in early for a spring delivery. Then next late May or Early June you will be ready to go.

• wrager
    12 years ago

But, the reason TW says it's too late is because it needs to be well established before a winter freeze. I seeded Triangle in late August a couple of yeras ago. Looked great in Sept/Oct. Come May/Jun, the following year, verly little came back.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

I seeded Triangle in late August a couple of yeras ago. Looked great in Sept/Oct. Come May/Jun, the following year, verly little came back.

I assume winter kill coupled with shallow roots?

• Banyon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earlier the lawn was sprayed for weeds and it was very effective. The lawn is fescue with many bare spots. The lawn contractor today did core aeration, fertilizing (maybe lime?) and overseeding with perennial rye grass. I am wondering how often that rye grass will need mowing this winter and what is the proper mowing height? I do my own mowing.

Next year in May, plans are to have the contractor core aerate again and seed with Bermuda (not yet sure about which hybrid). Is there one comprehensive (but simple) source for maintenance of Bermuda in my zone? Is it allowed by forum rules to post a favorite source for Yukon or Riviera seed? I would appreciate advice on where to order.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Google the BERMUDA BIBLE by Texas Weed.

As for seeds there are several like Hancock Seed and Bermuda Seed.Com

• Banyon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I walked around the next neighborhood yesterday looking at Bermuda lawns. Some of them are edged very nicely and some are edged kind of poorly. What type of power edger do you recommend? I am already thinking about my Santa Claus list.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Use a gas string trimmer weekly to keep the clean lines.

• Big_Papi
    12 years ago

I bought one of these from Sears a while back.

Cheap, so it was worth every penny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stick Edger

• Banyon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The rye grass seeding was fairly successful and the lawn looks quite good now from the street. Up close you can see a fair amount of weeds that sprouted this fall. They are all over the neighborhood even in lawns that are meticuously kept so I am not unhappy with mine.

Now another question. The property includes a one acre lot behind the house and across the creek. The lot is in full sun and is sloped. The previous owner kept the lot well mowed and I have continued this practice. The lot is covered by some, what they call here, "wild" bermuda and mostly weeds. Is this common bermuda? Before the houses were built there was a pasture here and this bermuda may have come from the pasture.

Second question, I am considering core aerating and seeding this lot next year with common bermuda. I will not be able to water the seed and the rain around here is spotty. It might rain four times per week and we might go three weeks with no rain. Would bermuda seed survive these conditions?

My other option is to Roundup the lot in August and seed fescue in late September/early October. I hate to do that because we lose so much fescue in July/August and have major aerating/overseeding to do every fall.

Thanks.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Is this common bermuda?

Yes but any Bermuda that has fertile seed is in the Common Bermuda group.

I noticed in one of your earlier replies you said plant a Hybrid. I hope you understand a Hybrid does not come from seed. Only common Bermuda grass has fertile seed. Hybrid types can only propagated or reproduce itself vegetatively by either sod, sprigs, or plugs. All hybrids produce sterile seed.

Would bermuda seed survive these conditions?

Certainly, it will just slow with lower levels of germination rates.