Does anyone recognize this weed?

anita55
13 years ago

It's everywhere in my lawn and I don't know what it is. thanks

{{gwi:114297}}

Comments (18)

• fruitjarfla
    13 years ago

It appears to be Creeping Wood Sorrel. A picture is shown in this link to the U. of Florida Extension service where you can also find pictures of other weeds. I have some of it and it keeps re-appearing. Ordinary weed killer will take care of it for a short while but it will probably return.

Here is a link that might be useful: U. of Fla Extension Service

• kevingalaxy
    13 years ago

Weed b gon max will get rid of that easily. Hope that helps.

• anita55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, I don't think my weed looks anything like the picture of creeping wood sorrel, do you think it does? Kevin, Weed B Gone kills many weeds, I want to know the name of this particular one if you know it. thanks!

• andy10917
    13 years ago

I don't think its Creeping Wood Sorrel. I'm in NY Zone 6 also, and Creeping Wood Sorrel is known here as "Oxalis". It looks like a very-upright clover with small yellow flowers in August and early September.

Sorry, Anita - I don't recognize it, but I don't think its Oxalis (Creeping Wood Sorrel).

• anita55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI Andy, yes I have that in my lawn, too. I pick it out by hand. I've been searching through weed photos and posts and I wonder if this is nimblewill. It looks like it, and sounds like it's hard to get rid of if that's what it is. I'd love to have someone actually ID it for me. I've tried the Weeds forum, and no one has commented.

• mikek1947
    13 years ago

Could this be Jew Grass? See this link:

http://weedid.missouri.edu/weedinfo.cfm?weed_id=173

Mike

• mikek1947
    13 years ago

Also take a look at this link:

http://weedid.missouri.edu/weedinfo.cfm?weed_id=181

I'll keep looking

Mike

• anita55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Mike, I never heard of Jew Grass before; I'm going to get a stalk of grass and compare. I think that it is Nimblewill. Thanks for the help.. If you find any others that it could be in your travels please let me know. For now I'm going to treat it like Nimblewill.

• andy10917
    13 years ago

Anita:

I thought for a moment about Nimblewill, but that weed appears to be a Dicot in the picture, and Nimblewill is a monocot (grasses are monocots). Maybe a different picture would help.

• anita55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/maddy55/?action=view¤t=WeedgrassID1a2010.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:114298}}

{{gwi:114299}}

{{gwi:114300}}

• fruitjarfla
    13 years ago

Here is a link to a nimbleweed discussion and pic -- from July 2010. But it does not appear to match your current picture. (Current picture is much better.) And, here is another picture http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?speedwell. (veronica) This one appears to be a better match of your weed, and mine. I had never heard of the name "speedwell." The name "veronica," yes, but different variety and never had to deal with it in Florida until this past year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb tossup.

• mikek1947
    13 years ago

I'm still going to vote for Jewgrass.

{{gwi:114301}}

{{gwi:114302}}

Also called Basketgrass, Microstegium. Always hard to tell if you're only looking at photos, but it's the best we have!

Mike

• anita55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike it does look like that, doesn't it. I thought the division of the leaf should be unequal but yours don't look unequal either. I'm going to go see what to do next.

• anita55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fruitjar, thanks for the links. unfortunately my yard has speedwell, also, and it's not this.

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    13 years ago

I think it is wandering jew or jew grass.
    I try to pull it as soon as I see it so it doesn't spread.
    Only control I know is hand picking or roundup which will kill all grass.

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    13 years ago

I have it everywhere. What I have is Japanese stiltgrass. It came from my woods and now is in every bed and all through my lawn. My neighbor does not have it in her lawn because they use a lawn service and lots of chemicals. I believe it can be controlled with premergent herbicides.

• tktoula_verizon_net
    12 years ago

Its known as Jewgrass,Basketgrass,Mary's Grass, or Mierostegium. Use pre emirgent in early spring, and some say to use post emirgent crabgrass killer during summer to kill it. You can also pull it. Best to do before it seeds out.

• mikefrommclean
    9 years ago

Jewgrass/basketgrass. Control with pre-emergent (usually advertized for crabgrass control); apply in March, and then again in June where I live in Virginia. Of course, this means you have to do your grass re-seeding operations in fall. I have heard that cornstarch is an effective organic pre-emergent but it's expensive when you can find it in bulk in a garden shop so I never tried it out.