Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Unable to identify (potentially) invasive yard weed and det

Posted by ckwaller New York (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 18:53

Every summer, I use Vigoro Weed-and-Feed on my yard twice every few months and it does a fantastic job of keeping the weeds and dandelions at bay. However, this summer, I noticed a new type of weed taking up root, and it seems to be immune to the Weed-and-Feed.

For reference, I've attached a few images. Does anyone know just what this is and more importantly how I can rid my yard of it? I'd say about 1/5 of my back yard has been taken over by it (as evidenced in one of the photos). Are there any recommended products that can be applied? After having no success with the Vigoro product, I spot-tested Ortho Weed-B-Gon on an area, and it appears to be working-- but only mildly (browning of weeds).

Any help is sincerely appreciated-- I want to do what I can before my yard is destroyed.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Unable to identify (potentially) invasive yard weed and

Looks like Crabgrass. Look for a product that can get rid of it.

o

Crab grass or goosegrass are my first two guesses. You can kill crabgrass with specialized weed killers. goosegrass is a different animal(plant). It is immune to almost all of the residential available herbicides.
If its crabgrass, take a look at quinclorac (sp) generics, it works well.
Im sure others will chime in and pinpoint what it is.

o

The problem with weed n feed and weed b gone is that they target broadleaf weeds. This is a grass type weed.

You should not have to use an herbicide if you are taking good care and have a dense turf. If your turf is thin, then you likely have fescue and will need to reseed/overseed every fall. If you have Kentucky bluegrass and are getting weeds, then you are not taking proper care of it. Here are the basics of lawn care.

1. Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means one inch all at one time. Measure how long it takes to apply one inch by setting out some cat food or tuna cans. Then always apply for that length of time. Infrequently means once per week if the temps are in the 90s, once every 2 weeks if the temps are in the 80s, and once every 3 weeks if the temps are in the 70s.

2. Mow at or near your mower's highest setting. This works for most grasses except dwarf varieties and bermuda, centipede, and creeping bentgrass.

3. Fertilize 3x per year if you are using chemical fertilizers. Apply once in late spring (Memorial Day), once on Labor Day, and once around Thanksgiving. Be sure to wash the fertilizer down to the soil immediately after applying. Morning dew the following day can kill the grass if you do not get it dissolved the same day you apply. If you are using organic fertilizer you can apply any time you want. Organics do not need to be washed in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here