Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! honey locust tree taking over my lawn!

Posted by jamie59 ca (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 19:31

My lawn in the back yard has been taken over by the honey locust tree. There are roots all over and there are little tree's sprouting up through my lawn. How can I get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! honey locust tree taking over my lawn!

I had several of those honey locust trees when I lived in the midwest and hated them. The small leaves were a PITA to rake up and the damm roots were all over the place including under the driveway and broke up my driveway.

Once that happened, the only answer was a call to the tree guy.

o

It's funny that agricultural extensions across the land suggest planting those citing "it's a ggreat tree to grow a lawn under because it doesn't cast a heavy shade"... meanwhile they forget to mention the monster surface roots those trees are known to eventually develop. I would keep mowing the root suckers And maybe add a little compost or soil to some extreme areas

o

I also hate these trees. There are a ton of them, growing very close together and thus mostly dead or dying, in the woods next to my house. The little seedlings are constantly sprouting in my garden, and they scare me during every storm. We just had one fall over last night. The way these things reproduce, they seem like they'd be invasive?

o

What was the final solution to get rid of problem? I have same situation in my field and they are taking over.

o

We have them where we have lived for 20 years --we just mow the little ones...they have the pros & cons--I love all trees

o

Carefully cut them down and immediately paint the stump with RoundUp. It will resprout, but either brake the sprouts off or spray them with RoundUp. Suckers will also come up from the roots, but keep mowing them. Eventually, without leaves for photosynthesis, all will die. But it is an ongoing battle for a while.I usually never use Roundup, but do for locust and Johnson grass & poison ivy.
(I am allergic to locust thorns and poison ivy, and you never get all of the roots of Johnson grass the first time.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here