Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawnsanity

Thin blades, swirls, wth is going on?

lawnsanity
9 years ago

Hey I'm seeing some weird thinning and swirling in just a few spots.

I may have posted about this last year as well, the weird thing is that I noticed the one spot is in the exact same place as last year! WTH is going on?

I think it happened around this time too, August. We've had a cool season up here in Toronto but the passed two days have been really hot, but I have a sprinkler system so whatever, plus I've been feeding.

I remember nothing could get rid of this spot last year either. and it was never there in the spring...of either year. This is bizzare.

Please see the video, even though it's much more noticeable in person.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxHYKkVyyjK_Rk1WM3pzTk5SajA&usp=sharing

Comments (6)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I think your video is still uploading.

What kind of grass do you have? Would it be creeping red fescue perchance?

How high/low are you mowing?

What is your watering regimen (how often and for how long)?

• lawnsanity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooops. K let's try this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHYKkVyyjK_RVV6S1dYVk5FR0E/edit?usp=sharing

That should work.

I have KBG. I mow high, number 6 on my Crafstman push mower. It has been a cool rainy summer so there was a couple of times I mowed on number 4 about a month ago, the grass suffered, I shocked it, but it bounced back with in a week.

I've been letting the rain do most of the watering but now I'm on a 10 day 1 inch of water schedule.

Could it be bees living in the ground or something? I'm seeing a few bees hovering in the grass here and there (not in those particular spots though).

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

It doesn't look like a disease offhand, but it still could be one that just can't dominate in your lawn (which is gorgeous, by the way!)

Bees and other ground-living insects don't generally cause too much trouble with the lawn as they're not interested in it. Most likely, the bees are scoping the territory for clover (which you don't have) as they like it.

Try taking a long-handled screwdriver and probing into the soil there to the full depth. Do you feel a rock? It almost seems like the grass there just isn't getting enough water.

Another question is how easily the screwdriver penetrated. Not easily? Your soil could be a little compacted--check other areas for comparison, the entire lawn could be. If so, the shampoo method will help you out here.

If there's no rock, it could be an example of greasy soil. One quick and easy thing to try that won't hurt anything:

1) Add about 3 tbsp shampoo (or dish soap like Dawn would be just fine in this case, just don't use an antibacterial soap) to 1 gallon water.

2) Water that spot thoroughly with the mixed soapy water. Use the entire gallon on one spot, allowing it to soak in thoroughly before adding more. This does take a bit, but we want to break up any hydrophobic bio-oils in the soil and wash them deeper.

3) Irrigate as normal.

4) Check back for new growth in a week or so, and re-try the screwdriver there. Easier? It should require a little less force.

• lawnsanity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DUDE!!! You are amazing!!!

I stuck the long screw driver down into the spot that was there last season as well....SMACK rock. Tried the second one SMACK rock.

I didn't bother with the third..actually hold on a sec....ahahahaha SMACK ROCK!!!

I guess I have a little digging to do. Next time you're in Toronto gimme a shout on this thread. I owe you a beer (or wine, or scotch...)

Thanks morpheuspa

And thank you for the lawn compliments.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

Glad I could help!

You can remove the sod from the area you're going to dig, park it in a shady spot (water it a little too), then get the rock out, repair that area, and tamp the sod back in.

Try to get as much root as possible, and keep the sod watered well for about two weeks so it can re-root. A gentle feeding wouldn't be taken amiss, like half rate Miracle Gro or something to give it the resources to re-grow its roots before winter.

• lawnsanity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, this is my first lawn btw and I'm learning as I go. Will take your advice.