Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crabgrass

Posted by beigestonehill z 6 /7VA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 19:58

So the lawn I need to fix has HUGE patches of crabgrass. Do I kill it with round up, pull it out and then seed? Can I mow it real close throw down the grass seed and deal with the crabgrass in the early spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crabgrass

Crabgrass will die completely at the first frost on the fall. It will not return next year from those same plants that grew this year. However, if you (or Mother Nature) provide the right moisture conditions, the seed dropped this year will sprout next spring.

Still you need to get grass seed in in September for your area. Do not wait for spring to seed those huge patches. If you wait then you are guaranteed to have crabgrass next year. There is a tool called a power rake which has vertically rotating cutters. Rent one of those and run over the crabgrass to chop it up. Then rake all that into your compost pile. After you clear the area you can seed. You should have a good idea of how the new seed took by mid October. Then you can decide if you need more seed. But even if the crabgrass returns from watering the new seed, it will die completely this year.

o
RE: crabgrass

Kill it all now with roundup then get it out of the ground. 9or if you can just pull them all out now) You have time then to reseed this fall. Then in spring use some crabgrass prevention and and kill any weeds and in 1 or 2 seasons youll be fine. Once your new grass grows this fall, fertilize it and again before the first frost and you'll be in good shape.

I had the same problem 6 years ago. Problem went away by year 2. Now none.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here