Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mach57_gw

To kill and start fresh or rehab?

Mach57
9 years ago

Bought a house last fall with a dead, lumpy lawn (2 month occupancy gap in the middle of the summer = bad news). With advice from here, I core aerated, seeded with TTTF, and top dressed (50/50 compost/top soil).

Half the lawn now looks great, if a bit thin:
{{gwi:114762}}

But the other half that wasn't sheltered by trees washed out the seed and fill in a heavy storm, and is now a patchy, lumpy, weedy mess. I'd guess 15% bare, 25% weed, 60% grass :
{{gwi:114763}}

I'm killing off a lot of the pachysandra bed (on the bad side) to gain more lawn space, so I'm already planning on having some quality time with a bottle of round-up.

My question, since I'm already going to be seeding from scratch on a big chunk of the lawn, and need to do some grading/smoothing of the bad side, should I just kill off that entire side of the lawn (and the bad "strip" on the good side next to the path) and start from scratch?

If I am starting from scratch, what's the procedure after the round-up kill? Dig/Rake out, turn soil and mix in compost, grade, seed, cover seed, and put down hay to stop my run-off issue?

Bonus question: Is Jonathan Greed seed decent? I used their Black Beauty TTTF last year, I'm planning on using Black Beauty Ultra this year for the bit of KBG to help close up pee spots etc.

Comment (1)