Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick question regarding cutting new grass.

Posted by sunbum Z7 Atl GA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 20:23

Had to do some clearing around the house a few weeks ago. This necessitated planting new grass in some areas two weeks ago.

I probably did this all wrong, but here goes;

I put out half annual rye grass seed and half shade tolerant fescue (Rebels) seed. Really probably more like 75% and 75%.

Anyway the Rye grass started to take real well after only 4-5 days and now has come in over most of the area (about 10,000 square feet). I know that the fescue will take longer to germinate.

The Rye is now about 3, 4 or even 5" in height across most of the area. But I'm sure the fescue is just starting to sprout.

Do I need to cut it now (the Rye) or just let it be and let the fescue come in?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick question regarding cutting new grass.

You mow as soon as it need mowed. The taller the Rye gets, the more nutrients, water and sunlight it robs from the Fescue seedlings which have not germinated yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here