Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycjsw

Seed for lawn in Central Virginia

nycjsw
16 years ago

I think I have narrowed my decision down to two different seed mixes. I had been thinking about Scott's Pure Premium with Thermal Blue and Rebel Extend w/ Midnight KBG but after looking at the Tall Fescue types in them, I passed.

Now I think I found pretty good seed at the local Southern States Feed store in the Richmond area.

One Bag has 33% Piedmont, Falcon III and Southern Choice II Tall Fescue. The other bag has Falcon III, Aristotle and Paraiso Tall Fescue along with Solar Green KGB.

Do these sound like good mixes? Which bag would be better? I get a lot of Sun in the front but have some shady areas in the back. I want a good dark green lawn. Thanks

Comments (5)

• duckhnt
    16 years ago

I live in Williamsburg and found a GREAT blend from a sod farm in Charles City called Meadowspring Turf. Its called Meadow Spring mix. I got it from Hayseeds in providence forge. All are A list blends from VaTech for Central VA..they are a sod farm but sell their own seed blend to homeowners in 50lb bags

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Anything that says Solar Green, Thermal Blue, Thermal Blue Blaze, or Dura Blue are not to be confused with Kentucky Bluegrass. They are Scott's bluegrass hybrids, which are crosses between KBG and Texas Bluegrass and completely different from KBG. I don't know anything about except the mixed results reported by some people on the internet. I can only say the early ratings and as of a couple years for the hybrids did not fair well. Perhaps there have been improvements since two or three years ago. I keep seeing "heat tolerance" and "drought recovery" but that is too limited information to draw conclusions. In my limited searches this year, I haven't been able to find maintenance requirements for any of them. If anyone does, please inform the forum.

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Anything that says Solar Green, Thermal Blue, Thermal Blue Blaze, or Dura Blue are not to be confused with Kentucky Bluegrass. They are Scott's bluegrass hybrids, which are crosses between KBG and Texas Bluegrass and completely different from KBG."

I think this is a bit of an overstatement. All the reading I have done indicates that these hybrids (as you indicate) try to incorporate the look of KBG with the heat tolerance of Texas Bluegrass. How well they do that can be debated but it seems a bit off to state they are completely different than KBG. Most of them look very similar to KBG b/c that is thier genetic composition. Clearly they look a lot more like KBG than Bermuda. There is still work to be done and I know they don't have the look of the best KBG but some may find them functional if they really help as far as heat tolerance.

What about the tall fescues I listed?

• duckhnt
    16 years ago

look them up on the VATech website if you want to know exactly how they will do in VA

• nycjsw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Several of the seeds are not listed on the VATECH website. My other thread discusses this problem. But thanks for the advice. It helped with with some of the seeds.