Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Numerous Tire marks in grass? How do you repair the lawn?

Posted by fatlard Z5 CHICAGO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 21:22

Well, it sucks.

The patio builder decided to drive all over the lawn instead of wheel barreling everying. I have tire marks (too many to count) .. some up to 4 inch deep.

What is the best way to repair? I know I will make them repair but I want to make sure they are doing it right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Numerous Tire marks in grass? How do you repair the lawn?

I had the same thing. The grass recovered after a good watering and a few days. If they left ruts in the you may be able to roll them out

o

4 inches deep! OMG, your lawn is ruined..! I would insist on rotavating and complete reseeding if it were me. Your soil is heavily compacted and will take a long time to recover. He will probably take the fast route and fill the ruts with top soil and seed them. DONT LET HIM DO IT, your lawn will be patchy and horrible. I had horses run through my lawn 2 years ago. The owner apologised and offered to repair the damage. He simply filled in the divets with soil and reseeded. To this day, i can still see every divet in the lawn, the grass is a different texture and colour. Get him to make good the whole lot, you want it back to the way it was before the jerk drove all over it.

o

Make him pay for the same seed you used for your current lawn (if you seeded it) or give him your seed if you have any left, smooth out the ruts, fill in the low spots and seed. Presto!!

o

That sucks. If he would have let you know, you could have made a plywood path and probably saved the lawn.

If you know what seed was used, repair is pretty simple. Fill in the ruts, seed, roll lightly and water.

If you don't know/can't find the original seed, it gets trickier. If the grass is just pushed down and not torn up, you can "lift" the existing grass and put some topsoil underneath to level. You can basically cut up the grass like it was sod, but you have to treat it like sod afterward. If the grass is torn up, you'll have to reseed even if you don't know what seed was used. The best way to do that would be to cut all the grass low, aerate everything, fill the ruts with topsoil, over seed the whole lawn with extra on the bare spots, fertilize, roll everything in and water. By overseeding everything, you get a little of the new grass everywhere and the patches will blend much better.

o

If you have a garden fork you may be able to ease some of the compaction and bring the grass up by working the fork along the tracks from both sides. This worked surprisingly well for me once.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here