Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eradicating mediterranean grass

Posted by Flash48 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 21:32

I live in Mesa Az and have Mid Iron grass (hybrid Bermuda) as my lawn grass. I do not plant a winter grass.
The mid iron is well cared for and looks great. The problem is an invasion of Mediterranean grass (Schismus Barbatus) that takes over the yard from mid winter to early summer. This is an invasive, self seeding annual grass that is ugly; I want to get rid of it. Is there a pre-emergence herbicide that will eradicate the schismus without killing the mid iron? If so, when is the best time to apply the herbicide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eradicating mediterranean grass

Are you sure it's Med grass and not Poa annua? They look somewhat alike. Does it have white flowers?

o
RE: eradicating mediterranean grass

Good question dchall. The invader seems to start as multiple single green blades through out the yard but soon forms ugly clumps that send up lots of seed heads. The clumps are about 6 inches in diameter and the seed stalks are about 5 inches tall. The invader dies out when the hot weather arrives but reappears again in early winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here