Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going on vacation

Posted by slatsBob Washington (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:39

I'm in the Pacific Northwest and we have quite a big lawn that would be expensive to have a service come in and mow every week. We are going on vacation Feb thru May and rather than pay for a service to mow the grass when it does start growing again, I am considering just letting it grow and then deal with it when I get back. We are completely surrounded by woods so don't worry about the neighbors.

The question is what will it take to recover from not mowing Feb thru May?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going on vacation

Scythes and about fifty farm workers might be required if, as I expect, that means about six weeks of unfettered growth during the highest growth period of the season.

OK, I exaggerate, but not by all that much. It's certainly going to be next to impossible to mow that without professional equipment. That's the first thing to expect.

Mowing it down like that is going to shock the grass badly, so expect issues resulting from it. Those include diseases.

You may find that the crowding caused by letting it grow choked out some of the weaker grass plants, so there are holes. You won't be able to repair them effectively until fall (although your summers are mild and wet enough that you just might get away with a May seeding if it's early enough in the month...but I wouldn't count on that).

o

Why not have it cut just a couple times just to keep some kind of control? Like April 1 and May 1 for example.

o

I don't think I can get a service to come out and mow once a month. It will be overgrown and they'll say thats not what they signed up for. So that means 4 times a month. Now we're talking about some cash outlay.

I'm wondering if I can just rent a brush hog when I get back and deal with the lawn "annomlies" that result. I bet within a month things will be back to normal.

o

What about a neighbor boy?

The are always in need of cash, and they do a good job.

o

Pretty sure if you call around you can have a lawn service to it once if you wanted (vacation service trim) - watch for local companies that maybe work in the area already.

If you want/need to just setup a couple different companies - lol

o

Call around, they are working for your business, not the other way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here