Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky Bluegrass will overtake Tall Fescue eventually??

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 21:58

Ive been seeding my lawn the past 3 years with Pennington Ultimate Grass Seed. What Im noticing is Im getting patches that are NOT fescue and to me look like Kentucky Bluegrass (e.g., patches 12-18" square of all Kentucky Bluegrass) which I dont like. As you walk around its obvious where there is fescue and where there is Kentucky Blue Grass, textures totally different and colors somewhat different. There's way more Fescue than Kentucky Bluegrass as you walk around but you definitely notice patches where there is only Kentucky Bluegrass.

Upon investigating the label of the grass seed I found it contains some Kentucky Bluegrass in it which I never noticed when I bought it, I thought it was 100% Fescue. Ive since read on this forum that is pretty common that Kentucky Bluegrass is included with Fescue for structure.

I dont know anything about Kentucky Bluegrass. Whats the long term prognosis of both Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass in a lawn? Is Kentucky Bluegrass more aggressive than Fescue and will it eventually choke the Fescue out over time? That seems to be what Im seeing, over time more and more larger patches of Kentucky Bluegrass. I overseed both spring and fall so theres always a supply of this grass seed being introduced in the lawn. The lawn stays very thick by doing this.

So my goal would be to have 100% fescue looks-wise, I dont like the look of Kentucky Bluegrass. Do I have a way to get rid of the Bluegrass and have all Fescue? Or should I just continue using what Im using and place more grass seed on the areas that are solid Bluegrass in hopes I get some Fescue to come up with them so I dont notice the Bluegrass so much?

Pennington Ultimate Grass Seed
39.4% Rebel Exeda Tall Fescue
29.2% Justice Tall Fescue
19.6% Shadow II Chewings Fescue
9.6% Blue Ridge Kentucky Bluegrass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky Bluegrass will overtake Tall Fescue eventually??

Are you sure it's the fescue you like and not the KBG? Also, I noticed that there's some Chewings fescue in there. That's a fine fescue and there's more difference in looks between fine fescue and either tall fescue or KBG than there is between KBG and tall fescue.

KBG spreads via rhizomes. There are some varieties of tall fescue that spread via rhizomes, but both of the varieties in htat mix are bunch grasses that only spread slowly through tillers. Chewings fescue also spread very slowly through tillers. The only fine fescue that spreads via rhizomes is creeping red fescue.

These three grasses all have different traits and are suited for different types of conditions.

Where in WA are you? You'll want to do things differently if you live in Seattle than if you live someplace like Pasco.

How much sun does your lawn get per day?

o

I live in Puyallup, WA a suburb of Tacoma/Seattle.

Whatever I'm seeing which I think is Kentucky Bluegrass is a spreading type grass (I think rhizomes when I see this type of spreading grass), not a straight up and down (vertical) grass like Fescue (or least what I think of when I think of Fescue).

So a lawn of Kentucky Bluegrass and Tall Fescue over the long haul, will the creeping/rhizome nature of the Bluegrass tend to dominate/choke out the Fescue??

Sunny to partial shade depending on what part of yard...

So

o

I'm kind of surprised you don't have any perennial rye in the lawn. With the moisture there, KBG can be prone to diseases and perennial rye does well in moist conditions.

Since KBG spreads and tall fescue doesn't, the KBG will become a larger proportion of the lawn over time. It won't kill the tall fescue, but any tall fescue that dies (for any reason) will be replaced by KBG spreading in.

o

Which grass "wins" depends on the conditions. In a sunny area with lots of water and plenty of nutrients, KBG can spread pretty aggressively. Over time, it will fill in any gaps or damage where the fescue plants currently are.

On the flip side, in a shady area that isn't fertilized as much, KBG generally won't spread much. If that area is wet, it might actually decline due to fungal problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here