Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rodent or insect boring holes in the ground?

Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 22:11

This is mainly happening where there's only dirt, we've just noticed a bunch of small holes, about the size of a penny, perfectly round.

Any idea what creature might be doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rodent or insect boring holes in the ground?

june bugs, their larvae are known as grubs.

could also be crickets, but their holes are usually about the diameter of a pencil.

o

• Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 23:41

Oh no! And I just laid down new sod..

So I did some searching and found that "grubs are rarely a problem for organically maintained lawns". I also found that they're common in compost.

1. What's the best organic option for getting rid of the grubs?

2. What do you do with compost to prevent bad insects and keep good insects? We have a wonderful compost that I used on my garden, which didn't do very well...maybe it wasn't so wonderful :(

o

The holes are there because the grubs pupated into June bugs and crawled out of the ground. The grubs are no longer there.

Nematodes are the best organic solution for grubs. However, before spending the money, make sure you have grubs. If you don't have dead patches of lawn, you probably don't have grubs. In about a month would be the best time to apply nematodes. They need damp soil to survive, just like earthworms.

Grubs in the lawn and grubs in compost are two totally different creatures. The first causes harm and the second does not. Compost grubs are much larger than lawn grubs.

Deanna

o

The damage now is just where there's dirt - which is about 3/4 of the yard. I've just laid sod in a few places, and am also trying to grow some shadow turf, so I really don't want to lose any!

There were some grubs in the sod...not many, I killed all I saw, but I wasn't happy to see them. So we'll wait til Fall to do anything.

o

• Posted by j_zak Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 11:52

We have holes in our lawn as well. This link is actually funny to read but looks like we may have a similar problem. I am becoming obsessed like the woman who wrote the information on this link

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/2009/9/Mysterious-Holes-Bugs-NUTS.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here