Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwguest

Will Dwarf Tall Fescue choke out Bermuda grass???

gwguest
16 years ago

Hello all,

Due to my stupidity, I added Bermuda Grass seeds in some bare spots of my Dwarf Tall Fescue (Marathon II) lawn. Now I can clearly see Bermuda grass happily growing in few spots. Will my fescue eventually choke out the Bermuda Grass? If not, is there any solution to this problem. There is no other Bermuda grass that can invade. Please help!!!

Thanks,

Kev

Comments (12)

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

No way, Bermuda will take over.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Will my fescue eventually choke out the Bermuda Grass?
    Not a chance

If not, is there any solution to this problem.
    Thoroughly dig it out now. Bermuda roots grow extremely deep. If you allow that, you'll never get rid of it.

There is no other Bermuda grass that can invade.
    I don't understand what this means.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Oh you are in a world of trouble now.
    By doing this you not only ruined your tall fescue lawn but you may actually never be able to get rid of the bermuda. But your only chance is to act now. Isee no other way but to kill off the entire lawn including the tall fescue and start again planting only tall fescue. You will have to repeatedly spray with roundup to kill the bermuda then wait and water then repeat over and over for a few months to make sure it is gone for good. Or as bestlawn said you can try to dig it out but that's obviously a job for heavy machinery.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Unless of course you want the bermuda...

In which case you will soon have a bermuda lawn if you mow short and feed often.

• gwguest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention that the bermuda is predominantly present in 2-3 areas...each about 1 sq ft.

Here is a picture:
    {{gwi:114016}}

There are no other Bermuda grass sources that can invade my lawn. Oh...my total lawn area is 100 sq ft...:-).

Thanks,
    Kev

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Your lawn is 100 sf?
    That is an area of 10 feet by 10 feet.

Why are we having this conversation. Dig it up and all the roots and lay top quality sod. It ought to take 15 minutes.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

An supposing you left out a zero in the square footage, my suggestion is still the same only it will take 10 times longer.

• gwguest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply quirky. No mistake....It is 10x10 or maybe 12x12 (144 sq ft). Would digging it out and laying new sod do the trick. I thought, one had to dig it out, level it, pack the soil, and then layout new sod....What tool should I use to dig out the sod...sorry I'm new to taking care of the lawn by myself and I have zero experience...

Thanks,
    Kev

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Sometimes I wish my yard was that small because then I could have the stamina and budget to do everything perfectly.

I'd just take an ordinary shovel and literally dig out the top 6" or so of the bermuda and it's roots. (However deep you need to go to dig out all the roots.) Don't leave any roots. I'm convinced if you put the slightest bit of bermuda DNA on a petri dish, put it out in the sun and came back in 24 hours, you'd have a piece of sod growing there.

Then I would put down my DREAM SOIL. Something like the consistency of potting soil then lay premium bluegrass sod on top of that if you can get it there.

So to recap you should be left with a 6" (or so) deep swimming pool in your entire lawn once you dig out the bermuda/sod/whatever and then replace with some great garden soil then stick some sod over that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of property do you live in where you have that size yard? Is it a ground level condo? Townhouse? Houseboat? What?

• gwguest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your input again. I live in a single family home...very small lot....total grass area is 500 sq ft...400 out front (east - partial sun) with a 2 car driveway...100 out back (west - full sun) with about 4-5 hundred sq ft of concrete patio...plus raised bed and misc planting area around the edge. The lot size is about 4000 sq ft. Most of the new houses around here have similar lot size. The house itself is 2000 sq ft.

I just sprayed round-up in the area where there is Bermuda growing. I will wait for a week or two and then start digging the bermuda out. I think digging all 100 sq ft would be quite a bit for me as far as logistics are concerned.

Why do you recommend bluegrass over Fescue...It seems like most of people here have fescue. What would be a preminum Blue grass? I don't see that around here in the nursery or big-box stores. Can I use a reel mower with blue grass?

Thanks for all the information. I never cared about the lawn until I let go of my yard-person and started tending it myself. I have nutsedge under control and if I can resolve this bermudagrass issue I will be in good shape to tend my lawn and yard.

Thanks,
    Kev

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I figured there would be Ky bluegrass in CA. You may have to order it from a sod dealer. It definitely wouldn't be an ordinary lawn. If you haven't seen it before it is the darkest green possible. The only reason I'm suggesting it is because if fescue grows there I'm sure this will and with only 100 sf to water and care for, It would be pretty easy to keep it alive. You can grow it from seed if you want. And yes you can cut it with a reel mower. If you just want to go back to what you had, you can do that too, I'm just telling you what I'd do with 100sf of lawn and some time to kill.

• gwguest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have sprinkler so watering it would not be a problem. Let's see how the Bermuda behaves and then it's onto digging and seeding or resodding.

Thanks,
    Kev

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor