Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tifgrand not greening up

Posted by tsmith76 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 23:26

A lot of my two month old tifgrand is not taking off. I have one area doing great, but for the most part it is very light green or somewhat dormant looking. Weed company came on site shortly after install. But, I'm concerned it need some nitrogen or something.

Not sure what all weed comp did.

This post was edited by tsmith76 on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 8:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tifgrand not greening up

Did you have a weed problem that needed to be taken care of? That might cause grass to turn yellow temporarily.

o

To be more accurate, it's not really yellow,it just isn't growing. light green or almost dormant looking in a lot of areas. There is one section where it is emerald green and looks perfect. But most just hasn't taken off.

o

shade issues?

How are you watering, mowing and feeding?

o

hardly any shade, sun is not an issue. The area that is in the shade on our side yard is growing fine. We watered heavily the 1st month and have cut back to 2-3 a week in the second month. I really have not had to cut it, although I have cut it once.

It's just not taking off as expected.

o

How often did you fertilize? Is that area really hard to poke screwdriver through?

o

Agree about fertilizer and water. Poke screwdriver in the good and bad areas. Does it take the same effort to push it in? This will give you some clues

o

Is the turf knitted to the soil so that you can't pull up the pieces of sod? If so then one thing wrong is you are watering too often. At most, for the hottest weeks, you should only be watering twice. If your temps are in the 80s, then you should be watering deeply once every week to 10 days.

Tifgrand is marketed for good shade performance, so a little shade should not be an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here