Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffesonm_gw

Help with new lawn plan

jeffesonm
9 years ago

Looking for some help on planting a new lawn. I got a new septic tank put in and had some trees taken down, and now I'd like a lawn. Combination of sun/shade area and the whole thing has a nice gradual slope away from the house, so no issues with drainage.

So far I've used my tractor and landscape rake to scrape off all the existing weeds, leaf litter, big rocks, etc and expose the dirt underneath. About half of the area has what appears to be very nice, rich, brown soil, while the other half has hard, dry brown clay.

It sounds like tilling is out of favor, and I'd rather not do it anyhow if I don't have to. I was thinking a load of topsoil would be nice to help level/smooth things out, fill in a few low spots and supplement the hard clay half of the yard.

There is a guy nearby selling both fill dirt and topsoil from a construction site, and he said I'm welcome to come check it out. Hoping the topsoil will be actual topsoil and not some weird compost/who knows what mix.

I'm sold on the value of quality seed and reading up to figure out which type I prefer. Not looking for a perfectly manicured carpet of grass, just something that looks decent, doesn't require much upkeep and won't shred when I drive the tractor over it. Not a big fan of the clumpy grass but is that common with all fescues or just poorly maintained lawns?

I want to get the seed down next weekend, or the one after,at the latest. It's been pretty dry here... should I be trying to time seeding for before or after rain? Or just adjust watering accordingly?

I will probably try and mail a dirt sample off to Logan Labs. Should I test the nice rich looking stuff, the crappy clay stuff, or a mix?

Comment (1)