Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_marietta

Heavy rain right after seeding/fertilizing

mike_in_marietta
14 years ago

I aerated, seeded and fertilized my fescue lawn two days ago it has rained about 7 inches since (Atlanta area). I can see some fertilizer on the ground but dont know if some has dissolved, fallen into the aeration holes, or was simply washed away. I did put wheat straw down over the bare patches. I dont see much seed. The lot is mainly flat but does slope in places.

Should I reapply seed and or fertilizer?

Comments (9)

• gamountains
    14 years ago

Mike:

How many holes per square foot? I'd say the rain probably helped in some respect, but maybe too much. Is the rainfall filling in the holes and draining well or is the lawn puddling?

I'm due to overseed. Thank goodness my aeration schedule has been slow. I would have probably lost everything including new topsoil because of the mild slopes I have.

• mike_in_marietta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gamountain,
    All the holes are pretty much filled in so I cant count how many holes per square foot. I picked up another 4 inches last night so I recieved about a foot of rain since seeding. The lawn pooled in only a few areas. I think I am going to reapply another 2Lbs of seed per 1000 sq ft. I really don't know what to do about fertilizer. Id hate to put too much down but I am sure a lot of what I did put down leached way down into the soil. There is just no way to know. I will have to wait a few days as the yard is pure mush right.

• jimtnc
    14 years ago

You didn't say if you were re-seeding an existing lawn or a new lawn, but if it were me I'd reseed (if reseeding the existing grass probably held those seeds in check...maybe), then re-fert after you see evidence of germination.

You really should re-fert again in late Nov anyway with a high N. Check the link. It's for the Carolinas, but your not that far away.

I fert my lawn either 3 times in the fall, or twice in the fall and once more in mid-Feb, which ever I decide to do in that particular year.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawn guide

• jeannie7
    14 years ago

When you say 'it rained' that doesn't quite speak what the Atlanta area got...did it.
    I mean....rain is rain....you didn't get rain...you got the busted dam. Interstate 75 was awash...that speaks well of how much.

Overseeding certainly cant hurt...its not like overfertilizing so when it does dry out...tomorrow maybe--go ahead throw more down.

Heavy rain...rather, let's say, where people live on a flood plain, their soil is often so inundated the soil is only able to take up so much...then it sits for long periods. That's when plant life is put at risk...dies even.
    Your rain (sic) wont lay on the land that long so your plants, your soil, shouldn't be harmed and should come back as good as ever.
    I understand some sewage escaped into the river...the people along there might feel the afteraffects from that...maybe the smell will confirm whether they have it or not.

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day..

Last year at this time, Atlanta and Georgia in particular was in a drought situation.
    You get it up the ...spout....when you don't expect it!

• mike_in_marietta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This was a reseed of an existing lawn. My rain gauge shows I recieved a whopping 18 inches of rain from Friday to Tuesday. Unfortunately, the heavy rain washed out the root ball of my neighbors oak tree which came crashing down on my house. I had to go out there and saw it up, in the mush, and I had to walk all over the yard heavily. In some places I sink ankle deep into mud. What a mess.

There was so much rain I am pretty sure more than half the seed washed away if not all of it. I bought another 50Lb bag of seed and will wait a few days to see what sprouts before applying more. I am sure I will have clumps and bare spots.

I did wheat straw about aa third of the lawn when i applied seed last week. I do not know if I should throw seed right on top of it and apply more wheat straw or just rake up the existing wheat straw and start over.

Another issue is the aeration I did last week was for naught. All the holes were completely filled in due to the heavy rain. Not sure if I should re-aerate or not.

What suggestions does anyone have on re-aerating and reseeding on top of wheat straw?

Oh yeah, this time I bought a different brand of fescue seed instead of the Lesco transition I normally use. I will post the brand, the fescue varieties it contains, and the quality of the grass in the near future. I think it is called Gold Standard and supposedly it is formulated for the SE region but I am not at home right now to check the bag.

Thx.

• jeannie7
    14 years ago

Mike, aren't you aware the United States is off the
    gold standard now.

Its the American buck (sadly) that now runs the world.

That's a joke son, just a joke.

• jimtnc
    14 years ago

Geeeshh! I feel for you guys down there. I'm originally from Augusta which I understand didn't get as much as the rest of you got. Whew!!

If it were me, I don't think I'd re-aerate again this year. You do that to loosen up the soil from compaction and get some air into it so it will absorb moisture better, but I don't think you have that problem now. When it gets dry enough (no standing water) but the soil is still moist I'd reseed. With that much rain and washout it won't hurt a thing to reseed everything again if you have enough seed to do it. You'll probably have some that will germinate, but it'll be a relief to know you did get the seed down to all the areas.

I've gone through the same thing as you (almost every year with hurricanes and hurricane remnants), so just chalk it up to mother nature and toss some more seed out. :-)

I'm not a turfgrass pro ... just relaying what I would and have done in your position.

• lpurnell_cricpa_com
    12 years ago

I put fertilizer on my Bermuda grass Monday am- it rained that afternnon and very heavy that evening- do I need to reaply?