Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pezastic

Overseeded with wrong grass type. What now?

pezastic
10 years ago

Unfortunately, I overseeded several large patches that were somewhat bare with the wrong type of seed. I have bluegrass, but the grass that grew (in only about a week) is a light green color. And, unlike bluegrass, it is very soft and thin and falls over like shag carpet. I don't mind the texture, but the color clashes a lot with the bluegrass.

What can I do now?

Comments (7)

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

What does the seed label on the bag say it is? If it isn't what you want, all you can really do is kill it off and start over.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Is shade an issue in the area with no grass? Because if the bluegrass has not filled it in, something else is wrong. Have you been watering at least once per week all summer? Do you fertilize 3x per year?

• pezastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is no shade in the problem areas, and I am watering my lawn twice a week, 1.5 inches each time. Also, I've applied fertilizer three times since spring.

I was hoping to avoid removing the new stuff, and seeing if there is a technique to planting bluegrass seed and trying to get it to blend in. Maybe I could just pull up some plugs in those problem areas and plant the right kind of seeds? Or, would that make it look like polka-dots?

This post was edited by pezastic on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 10:47

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info.

You are watering far too much. When watering new seed you should water 3x per day, for several weeks, until you have 80% germination. You do not need to water inches for this. You only need to water enough to keep the seed moist. That might be 3 minutes up to 10 minutes. Once the grass is established, then back waaay off on the frequency and increase the time. This time of year a mature lawn in your area should be watered one inch, all at one time, once very 3 weeks. If you want to correct this, do not do it cold turkey. Write back for more help on that.

Bluegrass easily blends in with fescues for summer time color and appearance. Bluegrass will go dormant (turn brown) in the winter while the fescues normally remain green, so that is one difference. Otherwise, the blend works perfectly.

The new stuff will eventually die out due to rare insects or rare disease. Bluegrass will also suffer under those pressures, but it will return. The fescue and/or rye you might have will die and remain dead. Until that time, you are stuck with what you have.

• pezastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I will do as you suggested.

• auteck
    10 years ago

If is Fescue, you can spray MSM or Manor (same thing) right now before the it gets established. This will take out the Fescue and not harm the Bluegrass.

• pezastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it is ryegrass, from what I've seen in grass type pics online. I know, I should have read the label before. I certainly will next time!