Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariana6b

How to prep. killed-off area for seed

mariana6b
9 years ago

We have an area approx. 1500 sq ft which has been totally killed off with Round Up. My husband just cut the dead vegetation close to the ground and we spent hours today trying to remove the remains with de-thatching rakes, which turned into quite a job considering the size of the area (cleared less than 1/4 of the area). Don't think we we have the time or energy to continue with this method.

Not sure how to procede. I was looking at what is available at our town's only rental center - slit seeders, aerators, cultivators. What they carry looks pretty heavy and I'm not sure we can physically handle it (both close to senior citizen territory and not in the best of shape).

The soil is fairly compacted. This area was used as a vegetable garden for over 50 years by my parents (I inherited the home). The bare garden soil became overrun by weeds last year before we could get around to dealing with the lawn - hence the kill-off this year.

This area is in the back of the property so we're not looking for perfection - just a fairly decent area of grass. Whatever we do needs to be done fairly quickly, I assume (central Ohio area). Suggestions on what method to use to remove the debris and loosen the soil? The seeding and fertilizing we could do without much trouble if we can get this prep work done.

Comment (1)