Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buffalo/couch problem

Posted by danrts Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 5:44

hi, I keep finding these bud like things growing out of my buffalo/couch lawn. Does anyone know what these are and how to eradicate them?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buffalo/couch problem

When those dry out, do they become stickers?

Sticker type plants take advantage of untended soil. Your buffalo grass is probably relatively thin, which allows seed to fall down between the plants. And, since it is buffalo, you probably do not fertilize it, and never water it. Those are the conditions that the stickery plants seem to like. I have a bunch in my front area. I have St Augustine grass around the house but the front 1/4 acre is weeds. I'm encouraging the St Aug to move out into the weedy area, but it takes time to cover that much space. Out front, there, I have a LOT of sticker grass.

For you I would suggest getting some hybrid buffalo grass that grows more densely than what you have now. There is one here in the states called Tech Turf by the Turffalo company. It is expensive, but makes an amazingly dense turf. Here is a picture...

You can see how it is trying to spread across the concrete. The green dots are slow release fertilizer. I don't know why they fertilized it, but they did. That lawn is at a university fraternity house. School had let out a week earlier, so the grass was being neglected. It was about 4-5 inches high and ready to be mowed.

The best way to get rid of grassy weeds in grass is tough love. Spot spray with RoundUp, which will also kill the surrounding grass. Then either reseed or let the old grass spread back to fill the dead spot.

This post was edited by dchall_san_antonio on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here