Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shortlid

When to do fall fertilizer

shortlid
10 years ago

I am in Southern New Hampshire. Is it too early to put down fall fertilizer. I have acidic soil so I need to get a lime application in before the end of the season also.

Comments (11)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

About a month ago for your first fall application. Then, when your grass stops growing but is still green, winterize with a high N, fast release fertilizer.

Get a soil test to tell you which type of lime to use and how much. Don't just dump another bag of lime on your yard because you did it last year. The best soil test around is from Logan Labs in Ohio. Their basic test costs $20 and tests a lot more stuff than your county extension service or university test.

• shortlid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I guess i missed the boat on the August application? Should I just done one application now, and another after it stops growing? Lime ( I use the one recomended by the lab last year) after the first fall fertilizer application or after the second once grass has gone dormant?

• albany1
    10 years ago

I thought mid Sept was the best time to seed here-but is that enough time to mature before frosty November?
    Also, new grass is coming up 'curley"
    '...does anyone know what that is?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

The time to seed is just when the summer heat begins to subside. Usually that it marked by evening temperature drops. We just had our first night of decent conditions tonight. I walk my dog at night because the heat is so oppressive. Last night the temp was 78 degrees F with 80% humidity. Tonight it was 73 degrees F with 50% humidity. Nice! First night have haven't come back sweaty. But for y'all in the north, that time is often in August. It might get warm again, but you can usually count on not seeing oppressive heat that will wipe out the new seedlings.

grass coming up curly?
    Are you sure it is grass?
    What did you plant?
    Where do you live?
    Did you fertilize? if so with what?
    How are you watering?

• albany1
    10 years ago

It's zone 5-upstate NY
    I put down 'Scott's easy seed',with mulch,seed and fertilizer
    -it's a mixture of fescue,rye and bluegrass.It's lightly watered daily.When it emerges at about 1" it's straight, but
    by 2" it's curly.I'm fairly certain it's the grass coming up.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Okay, so albany1 is a great clue as to your location. Funny - I did the same thing with my screen name...duh (slapping my forehead).

I'm too far out of my element on that question. Could you post a picture? Maybe tiemco, andy, or someone else will have some thoughts.

• agray132
    10 years ago

Mid October or after first night of frost cover

• andy10917
    10 years ago

You have to know the difference between fall fertilizer applications and "winterizer" applications. Fall fertilization is between late August and the first frost. Don't fertilize between the first frost and the end of top-growth on the lawn - this can cause the top-growth to continue when it shouldn't. Once the top-growth stops naturally, one more high-nitrogen treatment is the "winterizing" application - this is stored in the roots for use the following Spring, and boosts overall lawn health the following year.

• agray132
    10 years ago

Ya winterizer. Sorry, since we are nearly in October I wouldnt imagine he is going to put a fall fertilizer and then stack a winterizer on top of that. His grass should be starting to go dormant at this point in his area. My personal opinion is you shouldn't fertilize more than twice a year. Promotes shallow/weak root growth as the nitrogen makes it grow from the top rather than the bottom.

• albany1
    9 years ago

So it sounds like the winter fertilizer is applied when the grass stops growing,true?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

Exactly, whenever that is. For me here in eastern PA, that's usually the week of Thanksgiving, but that varies pretty widely.