Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kygator_gw

Moles...

KYgator
10 years ago

Alright, as some of you know, I just overseeded my lawn on Labor Day. I've been watering regularly, especially with the warm weather. In the back, I'm getting hit hard by mole runs. My neighbor, who hasn't seeded and hardly ever waters has already had problems with them. I'm afraid the watering is attracting more insects, making the ground softer and leading to more mole runs. I want them dead.

I did a search on this forum and everybody seems stumped. I was wondering if anyone here has had any success in eradicating them for good. One site mentioned getting a gopher snake. While my HOA and neighbors would probably curse me, I'm actually considering it. The snake is harmless to humans and I want these vandals dead. I want their children dead. I want their cousins dead. (channeling my best Robert DeNiro as I type this)

Comments (9)

• forsheems
    10 years ago

I've had issues with moles for the last 10 years or so. They haven't done any major damage but their tunnels are very frustrating. Each time before I mow I walk out to look for the tunnels, then ride over them with the mower to pack them back down prior to cutting the grass.

I'm in the process of a complete renovation and my yard is now completely dead from the glyphosate treatment. I have 7 loads of dirt coming either today or tomorrow to fill in 2 large sink holes where the original builder burried stumps. I will also be leveling out the entire yard to some extent, backfilling my driveway, and draging it to make sure it's perfectly smooth. I'm hoping that the Bobcat will smash them during the leveling, but I don't really have my hopes up. I've seen all kinds of tricks on Youtube but nothing seems to work. Guess I've learned to live with them of the years. The spike type traps work but take a lot of effort to locate the proper tunnel to set it up on. I've killed a few this way but seems like a new mole moves right in to take the deceased moles place. Really frustrating!

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I keep reading. It's a losing battle for most. Hmmm.. I really like the idea of letting a few snakes out there. I am not a big reptile guy, but they'd do all the work and be well fed. :-) My neighbors would love me too. :-/

• forsheems
    10 years ago

I have plenty of snakes. Mostly king snakes however they don't generally venture into my front yard where the moles live. They typically stay in the wooded area behind my house. The moles won't go in my backyard either. It's completely fenced in and my two dogs live back there and would gladly dig them up and kill them if they were to go into the fence. Now that I think of it, these little creatures are probably much smarter than I've given them credit for.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dogs... I wish I had a decent sized yard. I'd fence it and bring in a couple of dogs. That's a brilliant idea. I would get a couple of outdoor cats, but we already have some indoor cats.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

I hate the moles too, but here's what happens to me; the deer come into the yard and step on the mole tunnels, creating holes. A heavy rain comes and where the holes exist on a sloped area like a ditch, run-off water goes down the holes and the result is a wash-out. I have decided to try a product called 'Chase Mole' which I hope will also smell bad to the deer and convince them to go somewhere else too. If I lived out in the country, I would just kill the deer, but there's no shooting where I live. I looked out back this morning and there was a large doe and a spotted fawn cleaning up some bird seed under the feeder. She turned around and looked at me in the window and thought nothing of it.

• lv2bike
    10 years ago

Perhaps you've found a solution by now. If not, this is what works for me in VA. Tried everything for many years, including traps, castor oil, ex lax (yes - the laxative), and finally stumbled on an an effective, simple means of ridding my acre of lawn of moles fairly quickly. The plunger traps work fairly well if you find a well used tunnel, depress a small section with your foot by stepping across it, and place the trap there. A better way requires that you spend about a half a day at home: Here's what I did: 1 - Tamped down all mounds and tunnels in my yard. I had three sections in my yard effected. 2 - Went inside to watch a football game. 3 - Came out at halftime to check for new eruptions. 4 - Found two in my yard occupying about a square yard or so. 5 - Since moles can't magically flee through compacted soil, they were now confined to a small area. Took a sharp object and progressively pierced the entire erupted area, compacting as I went. I used a two pronged skewer, what you would use to roast hot dogs over a fire, but any sharp object will do. 6 - Repeated as necessary. Advantage to this method is that you can go about your business and don't have to sit in your yard all day, watching your grass grow. Did this on a Sunday a few weeks ago - not a mole since. Good luck

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

I think the best way to control moles is limit their food source. As long as there are insects and bugs in your yard you will have mole problems. It will appear you have them under control, but they come back.

For me I have decided to live with them, and work around them

• junc
    10 years ago

I'm having success catching pocket gophers in California with Cinch mole traps.

• tnjdm
    10 years ago

I killed 3 this year within a matter of a day after seeing their tunnels. I use a scissor type device called the Tomcat I picked up at Lowes for $20. This thing is fantastic. A little tricky to set it, but dam, it works. A pick of one I got a couple of months ago.