Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Augustine - When is the best time to lay sod?

Posted by jdub21 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 9:17

I am in central Texas and it is very HOT right now. I am planning to lay St. Augustine sod and was looking for some advice on the best time to lay it. I know it is too hot right now but could i still lay this year or should i wait until the Spring.

I lost all of the grass in my backyard due to a construction project and tired of looking at dirt.

I'm seeking advice on when is the best time to lay the sod in central texas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Augustine - When is the best time to lay sod?

You can lay sod any time of year providing the ground is not frozen, snow covered, or mud.

However the best time for warm season grasses is in spring right after green up. Be patient and increase your success rate. Wait for spring.

If you want something green and ground cover for the fall and winter, wait a bit longer until the heat breaks and rains return, then plant some Rye grass or -Rye-Fescue mix.

o

I agree that you can lay it any day of the year...except this year. It would have been certain death to have laid it a few weeks ago. Now that it is cooling off, you can probably do it. Problem now is the cooling is accompanied by a very dry front moving through. The sod will be especially dry right now, so it might be hard to keep alive for a few weeks. If you can hold out I would wait until the temps drop a few more degrees into the 80s. Hopefully (for the grass) the gulf breeze will return humidity to more normal levels.

o

Which variety of St augustine? Avoid 'Raleigh'. Terrible drought tolerance. You live in central Texas and you may be subject to more frequent watering restriction so I would strongly suggest that you get something more drought hardy.

I think Jamur zoysia would be best all around grass.

http://www.theturfgrassgroup.com/documents/JamurZoysia.pdf

http://www.theturfgrassgroup.com/documents/williamson county - non-irrigated turf study.pdf

http://saturf.com/san-antonio-grass-turf.php

With La Nina coming back this winter to keep drought going somewhere in Texas, I am not sure how watering restriction would work because you need to water every day for a couple weeks plus watering restriction would even get more strict as drought gets worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here