Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atekk_gw

Need advice on lawn redo...round 2

ATekk
11 years ago

Background:

Last year with help from numerous people on this forum (especially timeco and dchall_san_antonio!) I did a full lawn rehaul. It was my first fall in the new home and the lawn prior was a mix of some of TTF, numerous weeds and dirt. Unfortunately with the timing of a very busy fall I started the renovation a little later than I had hoped, end of Sept, and was worried about not having enough time for KBG to really grow in so went with Lesco Double Eagle PR. The grass came up amazing, and this spring the lawn was impeccable. All the neighbors would talk to me about it any time I was outside because it was exactly what I had hoped for. I thick, dark green/blue rug with no problems what so ever. Then it all started going down hill.....

First had a small attack of Pythium blight.

Then the heat started picking up. I didn't have a chance to install an irrigation system so I was watering by hand. Started out with deep 1 inch watering once a week, then twice a week when it was 90+ everyday, and eventually tried 3 times a week since the grass was really struggling.

Then I found grubs (killed them off so hopefully next year won't be an issue).

So a mix of all the factors above and this is what it looks like now.

{{gwi:116404}}

{{gwi:116405}}

{{gwi:116406}}

So now:

I plan on doing a full overhaul...again...next weekend.

My thought was just to Roundup the entire yard today and start fresh with the Lesco KBG blend. I will be putting in an irrigation system next spring. Started doing my research now but just not enough time.

Additionally, I will be getting my results from Logan Labs right after the holiday and will also post that as I am sure I will need help interpreting.

Questions:

1) Do you think it makes sense to Roundup what is left (some areas are actually still looking ok) or should I just overseed with PR and call it a day? My thought was just that this was the time to switch to KBG.

2) What caused this? This is how I first started seeing problems. Near most of my landscape beds and walkways the grass died off in almost a channel following the path of the aforementioned. Was this the grubs starting to work? Hard to tell in the picture but it started just as the channel, all grass to the left of the channel was fine in the beginning.

{{gwi:116407}}

3) I wanted to go with a Midnight KBG lawn but I do like Lesco seed and their 10 lb bag (only 2,000 sq ft so thats plenty and at $50 can't be beat) of their KBG blend seems like a nice option. Forget which cultivars it has but it was a mix of 3, Midnight not being one of them. Should I choose a different seed? Order my own blend?

4) What else am I missing? I didn't have a soil test done last year because of the time constraints but like I said will have that soon to see if that was part of my problem.

Thanks again. The information I get here is priceless.

Adam