Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzeng_gw

How to water and mow a new lawn with mixed seeds

dzeng
10 years ago

We recently reseed the lawn with newly added loam. The seeds are a mixture of rye grass and blue grass. The reseeding was done about 10 days ago. About 4~5 days after seeding, the rye grass spouted and now the lawn is covered by grass about 3 inch long.

I know blue grass takes 2~3 weeks to germinate, my question is in this situation, should we continue watering the lawn twice a day (5 min each time) to assist the germinating of blue grass? Or should we reduce the watering frequency?

My second question is, should we mow the lawn or should we just wait for bluegrass to grow? If you suggest us to wait, what is the best time to mow?

Thanks in advance for your answer and help.

Comment (1)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

'tis a delemma. Do you wish you had not mixed rye with KBG? Maybe you could have seeded the KBG first and waited 2 weeks to do the rye. This is always an issue when two or three seed types are mixed.

Continue watering 2-3x per day or you will have no KBG at all.

As for mowing you are really walking a tightrope. You can mow anytime up until the KBG seed sprouts. Once that happens you need to stay off of it or you will break the seedling KBG plants. And if the grass gets upwards of 5 inches in the mean time, the rye might provide too much shade for the new KBG seedlings. I would give it 5 more days and mow it back to 3 inches unless that rips the rye out of the ground. Continue watering like that until you have 80% germination of the KBG and it is at least an inch or two high. Then you can back off on the frequency and go up on the duration.

On the plus side, you only need a few KBG seeds to survive, because it will eventually spread to fill in any thin spots.