Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best fertilizer spreader?

Posted by fghunt z4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 10:00

Hi all:

Bought a new Scott's EdgeGuard brodcast spreader this spring and the peice of junk fell apart already. Had another brand (red, called "Even SPreader" or something like that) also broke on me.

Does anyone out there make a decent brodcast spreader that may, dare I ask, last more than two seasons? I'm to the point where cost is not an issue.

Please help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best fertilizer spreader?

I bought a store brand spreader from K Mart about 10 years ago. It still works.

o

Gosh, I've had mine for so many years I could'nt tell you the name of it.
Its a gem.....my neighbours know this to be true, they keep borrowing it.
Its appearance is almost what you'd think is cardboard...its a composite, probably more plastic than anything....definitely though not metal.

The opening is controlled by numbers....1 to 8...the wire spinner over the hole is controlled by the wide fan-like thing below it. As you move, the wire spins causing it to distribute the granules. You dial the number which controls the size of the opening by turning the spindle. #5 is what I use for lazy fertilizer and release of the handle stops the action so turning is easy.
I've tried putting soil through #8...but if it isn't dry enough just clogs up.
And....I wash it after every use because fertilizer has harmful aspects...it can eat into metal, pit aluminum and while the body doesn't have any, the wire controls do.
The hopper takes a good amount, about 20 lbs which is good enough to do a lawn in two directions.

Hope you have better success with your next choice.

o

www.earthway.com

o

Second vote for Earthway. Very high quality.

o

Sounds like he had an Earthway before ("red, called "Even SPreader"--Earthway calls it "Ev-N-Spred"). I like Earthway myself. Once you get into professional models, you are talking big, big bucks!

o

figure about $200 or so for one of their professional spreaders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here