Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Stump Removed -- Planting Grass

Posted by urspider 7a - Baltimore (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 10:04

Just had a large tree removed and the stump ground to about a foot below ground level. What are my next steps for getting lawn to grow here? Can I just dump a bunch of top soil on and plant seed or do I need to wait a bit for teh ground to settle? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Baffled in Baltimore

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Stump Removed -- Planting Grass

If it was a substantial tree, the settling will continue for 5-8 years - you'll just have to deal with it. You'll have to deal with a mushrooms from time to time when the roots decay, especially if the tree was shallow-rooted.

Tamp down the topsoil you add and move on - you're gonna live with this for awhile, but it won't be that big a deal.

o

I have had several large trees removed and have planted successfully over the hole after the stump was chipped out. The fill dirt will settle ... as well as the area where any large roots are.

I always add some large rocks to the fill going in the hole to mitigate the eventual settling of the fill dirt. The rocks go in first then the fill.

Each spring a few more shovels of dirt may be necessary.

Mounding up the fill dirt might help a little but, you must remember where the "hump" is when you mow.

Matching the surrounding grass was always my pet peeve about filling tree holes. The patch of new grass is always a different color for a few years.

o

If the chips have not been removed, remove them and replace with soil. I once had a 85 foot norway spruce removed and had the stump ground. Grass took years to grow in that spot. I subsequently learned that those chips need to be broken down by microbes, which need a lot of nitrogen to do it. So the area was constantly starved for fertilizer.

So remove as many of those chips as you can! Then fill with non-enriched topsoil. Just pile those chips up somewhere not noticeable and they will become compost in a few years with zero effort on your part, or even sooner with some occasional turning of the pile.

Good luck!
Paul

o

Paulinct has some good points -- those wood chips not only will steal nitrogen but also will decay and cause a lot of the settling. If you remove as many of them as possible, fill with dirt, mound a bit, and seed, you should be in much better long run shape. If you don't compost the chips, just spread them around the garden/other trees like you would mulch.

o

Totally agree with Heimert.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here