Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watersbrian1

Please help diagnose lawn problem

watersbrian1
10 years ago

Here's the story.... my wife and I bought a new home in March and we decided we wanted St Augustine (Raleigh) like we had at our previous home. Our yard is approx 6000 SF and I did not want to spend all the money to replace the Bermuda the builder put in. We decided to buy 3 pallets and kind of "checkerboard" the pieces of St Augustine throughout the yard and wait for it to fill in. After we got it all down I did put out some Scott's Turf Builder Starter fertilizer (24-25-4). I watered 4 times a week up until water restrictions were applied and had to go to twice per week. I watered early morning for 45 minutes per zone. I have not put out tuna cans yet to accurately measure, but the yard seemed happy. I think my mistake was I was so worried about the St Augustine I would go out everyday after work and hand water almost every piece of St Augustine because I felt they were not getting enough water. I would see some pieces starting to turn yellow and straw like. I started to apply Ortho bug B Gon as well. The St Augustine now seems to be dying. I'm not sure if it's chinch bugs, SAD or brown patch. Went to a nursery 5 days ago to get corn meal and they said to put out some liquid fungicide (which I did). I also put out some Vigoro Super Green fertilizer about 3 weeks ago (35-0-5). I'm afraid my lack of knowledge for proper care is killing my yard. I don't know if I need to replace the worst pieces of St Augustine, or wait it out and see if it gets better.
Sorry for such a long post, but any and every piece of advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)