Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngc_gw

new lawn schedule

youngc
9 years ago

hi there,

trying to get a few pointers for a new lawn for a general newbie at lawn maintenance. septic guys put in a new system and cleared out the yard and layed down some seed and hay on top (as well as soil under).

as recommended, i kept the soil moist and a little over a week later i got the first signs of life. i started to water with a sprinkler in the mornings a couple days ago (two weeks after seeding) and the grass is growing, but patchy in some spots. i'm afraid that i may have stunted the grass where i stepped or layed the hose and/or sprinkler. should these patches eventually pop up or are they doomed? since i started noticing these spots, i've since kept my traffic to the edge of the yard and am back to hand-watering. i can reach all of my yard with the sprayer i have but of course, i have to be out there spraying.

also, i've been told that the first mowing should happen when the long blades reach about three inches. as of right now, the ground is really soft and i'm hesitant to run anything over the lawn just about yet. especially seeing the bare patches. good idea to wait and let the ground firm up or will it recover when i mow on soft lawn? and will the remaining hay go flying if i mow? i kinda have a feeling it will and don't know if that's even an issue.

lots of questions so any help appreciated. thanks!

Comments (2)