Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waltfire

Bermuda trouble

waltfire
10 years ago

Had bermuda tifway 419 installed 12 days ago. Most of the grass had done very well except a spot about 7ft x 15ft. Almost looks like its dying or has a disease. It was green when installed and well watered. It is near and beside the house, so shade may be an issue? But with that being said, there are other shaded spots doing very well.

Comments (4)

• waltfire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another picture. The sod seems to have taken root decently well... hard to pull on.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Since it can't be too dry, then it might very well be too wet. What was your watering schedule? How long? By now you should be watering no more than once every 3 days and backing off toward once every week, then 2 weeks. Being bermuda this is going to come back and be nice. Shade might be an issue but new turf will survive very well in shade for several months. Then you will notice that it has thinned. This is not normal thinning.

You need to get to know your sprinkler or your sprinkler system. Put out several cat food or tuna cans (empty) and time how long it takes to fill them. Use that as your basic guideline for watering.

Also find the Bermuda Bible online and memorize it. It was written by texas-weed, a bermuda sod farmer who often pays a visit to GardenWeb.

• waltfire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First 7 days I watered every morning about 30 to 35 minutes per section of the yard with a sprinkler. After that its been every other day. Temps have been in the high 80s every day. The rest of the yard looks terrific, even other shade places. The soil has a lot of clay in it. Don't know if thats a factor or not. Past couple of days, I did water that section a little more than I have been b/c at first I thought it wasn't getting enough water or the water was draining away too quickly b/c of the clay soil and 5% slope around the house. If I did overwater/drown it a little, is it still salvageable?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Is it still salvageable???
    Bwahahahahahaha!!! It's bermuda! You can't get rid of it.

You might have a low spot there that holds water extra long. 30 minutes is too much per day. All you needed was enough to moisten the sod and keep it from drying out while the roots took hold. You should be backing way off on frequency at this point. Put down some cat food or tuna cans and measure how much water you get in 30 minutes. Today's modern sprinkler systems can do an inch in 20 minutes. An inch is all you need per week on mature grass. It is looking dry/brown because the roots have rotted off. Plants cannot get water through dead roots.

I would shoot for 1 inch per week right now. How you want to get that (daily or all at once) is going to be your call based on watching the grass. Any signs that the good grass is getting dry should trigger a watering event.

You might also search this forum for my description of a shampoo treatment. It will allow the water to penetrate the soil much better for years to come.