Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fossoway33

Day 21 Renovation Pics & a Concern

Fossoway33
11 years ago

The grass seed seems to be germinating extremely well relatively uniformly and has really exploded since the temps have gone to 70s/50s here in Toms River, NJ.

The seed mix is 70% TTTF Cochise/Bullseye/Firecracker and 30% KGB Bewitched/Everglade/Zinfindel. I carefully followed all the steps in preparation as recommended by a different lawn care site. The only exception is I did use a bluebird soil slicer - my dad runs a store that rents them so its free. I applied 1/2 app of starter fertilizer and covered with peat moss and then sprayed recommended dosage of Tenacity at seeding.

My only concern at this point is that if I look closely beyond all of the sproutlets I can see what looks like a clover uniformly throughout the renovation - and its extremely tiny and they dont seem to be getting bigger. What is it? And what caused it? And finally, how do I treat it?

Comments (20)

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic...

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A closeup of the newest sproutlets kgb?

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A pic of the major concern I have right now...

• grass1950
    11 years ago

The pic is a bit fuzzy but that looks like dollarweed or dichondra. A selective herbicide can be used on it, but I'd wait until next Spring with a new seed lawn or atleast until after the 3rd mowing.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I was going to hit the new lawn with a second dose of Tenacity after the second mowing. Would Tenacity take this particular issue out?

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I have no personal experience with Tenacity. Try it and see. I have had fair to decent results with WBG chickweed and clover, although dollarweed and dichondra are not listed, but again, I wouldn't apply it this year. You should also google dollarweed and compare your weed to the pictures.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic of the major concern...

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another closeup but bit blurry - sorry!

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

If it's all through the area that you seeded, I suspect it was in the seed.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Finally a clear picture. I'm surprised but that really looks like dichondra. I didn't think it would grow in NJ. Now I'm thinking it is larger leaves and the perspective is hard to see. If they leaves are no bigger than a dime, then it is dichondra. Compared to your thumb in the blurry picture, I'm going with dichondra (pronounced die KON druh).

Either way, since you have it now, you will have a brazillian seeds come up in the spring. Weed-b-gone at the earliest opportunity (considering your new seedlings, of course) will take it out and stop it from dropping new seeds. Then do the same in the spring. Don't rely on weed-n-feed to do this. Use a real herbicide to kill weeks and a real fertilizer to fertilize. The problem with these types of broad leaf weeds is they block the sunlight from the soil and slow the grass from spreading. You need it out.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dchall,

How long do I have to wait to hit it with WBG? Sunday, September 30th will be exactly four weeks since I sowed the seed. Also, which WBG - I know there are a few. Will Tenacity take it out? Im due for another round of that after the second mowing. Im gonna mow on the 30th for the first time. Thanks.

• IndyChad
    11 years ago

Dchall, will the regular Weed b Gon work or does he need the stuff that kills clover, chickweed, etc? I'm 19 days into my reno and I've got this stuff coming up too.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Updated pics after first mow....

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic #2

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another angle...

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Side yard renovation pic....strip of green leading to fence gate was part of sod connected to back yard pool.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of the weed infestation

• gsweater
    11 years ago

I'd be curious for a definitive answer based on the last picture. I recently seeded and have the same coming up. I waited 2 weeks after germination before I sprayed WBG, and it did clear it out, but still a bit irked about it being in the seed in the first place. I'm 100% certain it was in the seed as it wasn't there prior to seeding, I didn't till or do anything to the soil other than lightly rought the area, and covered with peat. Hasn't shown up in any part of the lawn except the seeded area.

• andy10917
    11 years ago

100% certain? Did you disturb the soil when you seeded? That can bring up long-dormant seeds, easily.