Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kygator_gw

Rolling newly spread TTTF seed?

KYgator
9 years ago

Doing a full renovation and followed all the proper steps up to seeding time. Purchased Hogan's tall fescue blend and I am pretty excited to see the results. I have the four best cultivars for my area based on the NTEP readings.

After seeding, I rolled the seed with a plastic drum lawn roller rented from Home Depot. I ended up filling the drum almost full with water, which I read may have been too much. On the flip side, my lawn rolling exercise consisted of one pretty brisk walk roll over the lawn. I did not do a second roll. So, hopefully, I didn't cause too much soil compaction. The soil was well irrigated prior to seeding, but not too mushy at the same time.

I can still see most of the seed embedded in the soil on the surface, so I am confident I didn't push the seed down too far. Main concern is soil compaction and if I damaged any of the seed. Also, we have a heavy band of thunderstorms rolling through tonight, so that extra weight in the roller drum might come in handy so as to avoid any run off. The seeding and rolling occurred this past Saturday afternoon.

Comments (3)