Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late for crabgrass control? Bermuda lawn (pics)

Posted by twolabs NE Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 11:13

We moved in 3 years ago, a new build. We sodded our 1/2 acre lot in 419 tifway. I've been mowing frequently, and fertilizing with a high nitrogen fertilizer every 4-6 weeks, and trying to get an inch of water on it a week. However, we did build on a pasture...and pasture surrounds us on all sides (2 sides they are directly next to us). So I know that I'm going to have problems.

Right now, crabgrass, is really starting to take over my back lawn. I'm in Northeast Texas, and today is the first day we've had high temps under 85. I do have some weed killer with crabgrass control bought at the big box stores, but it says it could kill my bermuda if applied when daytime temps are too high. We are staying below 85 for the next 4-5 days, then it goes closer to 90 in the middle of the week.

My questions are:

1) Should I forget about applying a post-emergent herbicide this late in the season? I did put on a pre-emergent this spring, but I didn't pay too close attention if it had any crabgrass control in it. Not smart by me.
2) If I do spray a crabgrass control now, when do I need to apply a pre-emergent fall application? Or do I at all?

I'm really clueless here and would appreciate any help. I have attached closeups of the biggest infestation areas (not long after mowing), as well as showing whats just over my back fence. FYI, these pictures were taken a few weeks ago.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late for crabgrass control? Bermuda lawn (pics)

Close up of yard.

o
RE:Too late for crabgrass control? Bermuda lawn (pics)

Whats just on the other side of the fence.

o
RE: Too late for crabgrass control? Bermuda lawn (pics)

Part of the problem with crabgrass in bermuda is they both love the same conditions. The advantage you have is in withholding moisture, especially in the spring. The crabgrass will die at first frost. The bermuda will slow down and go dormant about the same time. No advantage yet. Whatever you do, do not over seed with rye grass to keep your lawn green over the winter. There are several reasons for this, but one is so you can get the earliest green up of the bermuda possible. You want every sun ray to hit the grass and bring it out of dormancy. Over the winter you should be watering once per month. When the temps rise into the 70s, you can move to once every 3 weeks. Temps in the 80s you can go to once every 2 weeks. Above ninety and go to weekly watering. Crabgrass needs continual moisture to germinate. If you withhold moisture, the soil will be dry most of the time and the crabgrass seed will not germinate. If you have a very dense turf, the crabgrass will not move in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here