Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeding

Posted by MickeyM1449 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 11:16

I live in the north part of Mississippi, not too far south of Memphis, TN. I have about 700 feet of gravel driveway. Either side has about 2 - 3 feet of grass, then a fence then pasture land. There are small drainage ditches on the pasture side of the fences on both sides. I want to widen the flat grass area inside the fence where my driveway is, so there will be a wider path to cut with my mower. Plus it will look better. Coming up the driveway is very narrow.

My question is: if I do that and use a dozer to move the dirt and cut the ditches out wider into the pasture, is it too late in the season to plant grass on the dirt? If not, is there a type of grass that would do better?

-Mickey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeding

You're in the southern part of the transition zone. You can grow any grass there, but I believe the southern grasses would do better with your humidity. If you want to seed bermuda, then you are too late. If you want to use either bermuda sod or St Augustine sod, you can still do that. If you want to use a northern grass like fescue or Kentucky bluegrass, then you can likely still get away with that in your area.

That's a small area for a dozer. You could use a box blade on a tractor and be done in a morning. It's a lot more maneuverable than a dozer.

What kinds of grasses are growing in the pasture?

o

I am ignorant about most grasses, so I am not sure of the type growing in the pastures. I have no preference on these strips.

I have a tractor, but do not have a box blade with cutting teeth to be able to do it myself.

o

Where were you going to get a dozer? Maybe someone else around you has a box blade and knows how to use it.

o

There is a person about a mile from me that would charge me $500 to come and move enough dirt to cut the ditches out wider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here